OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Population Decline?

Started by HunterS5, January 22, 2021, 08:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Quote from: owlhoot on February 13, 2021, 05:59:22 PM
Quote from: Turkeytider on February 13, 2021, 05:42:21 PM
Quote from: WVBeagleMan on February 13, 2021, 03:21:37 PM
WV has declined from its hey day in the mid 80's.  We have more predators now in the form of coyotes and way higher numbers of avian predators (hawks, eagles and owls).  The weather seems to be our biggest factor though, we have had several cold wet springs which hurts nesting hens because they give off more scent when they are wet.  The poults are also very susceptible to cold and wet conditions.

A friend of mine from WV used to go to one of the Carolinas, I believe South Carolina, every Spring and kill several birds in a week.  His sister married a fella there that was an outfitter.  He retired and moved there and says they have way fewer birds now, he blames it on the wild pigs destroying the nest.

To my knowledge there have been no studies indicating that hogs are a significant nest destroyer, certainly not in the same league as coons, skunks , snakes. One of the most interesting things I`ve learned is that studies have shown that coyotes, while they`ll certainly take an adult turkey , are not a major predator of adult turkeys. Bobcats, great horned owls , and, of course, us, different story.
So a hog wont eat anything dang near that it comes across.

Oh sure it will. Didn`t mean to infer that a pig would never eat turkey eggs, just that I`m unaware of any studies indicating that they are a significant threat to nests, as opposed to the other critters. They might happen upon a nest as opposed to skunks and snakes that make a living out of eating eggs.

owlhoot

Quote from: Turkeytider on February 13, 2021, 09:07:03 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 13, 2021, 05:59:22 PM
Quote from: Turkeytider on February 13, 2021, 05:42:21 PM
Quote from: WVBeagleMan on February 13, 2021, 03:21:37 PM
WV has declined from its hey day in the mid 80's.  We have more predators now in the form of coyotes and way higher numbers of avian predators (hawks, eagles and owls).  The weather seems to be our biggest factor though, we have had several cold wet springs which hurts nesting hens because they give off more scent when they are wet.  The poults are also very susceptible to cold and wet conditions.

A friend of mine from WV used to go to one of the Carolinas, I believe South Carolina, every Spring and kill several birds in a week.  His sister married a fella there that was an outfitter.  He retired and moved there and says they have way fewer birds now, he blames it on the wild pigs destroying the nest.

To my knowledge there have been no studies indicating that hogs are a significant nest destroyer, certainly not in the same league as coons, skunks , snakes. One of the most interesting things I`ve learned is that studies have shown that coyotes, while they`ll certainly take an adult turkey , are not a major predator of adult turkeys. Bobcats, great horned owls , and, of course, us, different story.
So a hog wont eat anything dang near that it comes across.

Oh sure it will. Didn`t mean to infer that a pig would never eat turkey eggs, just that I`m unaware of any studies indicating that they are a significant threat to nests, as opposed to the other critters. They might happen upon a nest as opposed to skunks and snakes that make a living out of eating eggs.
No studies needed probably. Now coyotes may not have a ton of success with catching turkey but they still try alot. A fella can sure call in a few during a season, they like decoys too.  lol.
One thing that I didn't realize is that the crows were so good at finding nests and raiding them. A quick study with trail cameras over nests showed that one. Not sure but I believe it was done by some simp who posts here and is on youtube.

WV Flopper

Lots of interesting points! Just got done reading all 6 pages of this.

For the last few years fur/predators have not been worth any money at all. 2-3$ on a coon, average! 12-17$ for a fox, 15-22$ for a yote. For you older guys that remember the BEGINNING of the turkey boom. It followed the last real fur boom. 40$ coon, 80$ fox. Young men put their self through college on that money. Today, you can't put gas in your truck with money made from fur. I personally could make more money at McDonalds than trapping! I only do it for the fun and challenge.

My brother from WV, "figuratively speaking" noted Avian predators. Well men,there's a hawk setting every half a mile on the phone wire. Here where I live, eagles are a dime a dozen. Ravens!!! Oh my the ravens.  See, back in the day. These three things so far coincided together. People used to kill these birds of prey! People trapped, turkeys flourished.

Too much wet weather with cool temps in the spring=peeps lose
Not wet enough out Midwest/West= peeps lose
Ground Predators= peeps lose
Avian predators= peeps lose
Disease= peeps lose
Over hunting= peeps lose
Loss of habitat= peeps lose
Insecticide= peeps lose
Herbicide = peeps lose
Manure on habitat introduction of biowaste chemicals =peeps lose

What of these can YOU control? Lots of factors, this is a few.

ol bob

Kill ever coon and crow you see not a cure all but it will help.

eggshell

I do think raccoons are making an impact but not a huge one. I had a pretty good trap line in the late 70 through the 80 to early 90s. I also was a partner in a fur auction and I professionally graded furs. The bust of the fur market cost  me literally thousands of dollars. When I first got married we literally lived off fur money in the winter. We purchased all our home furniture off fur too. It sucks, that people who have absolutely no idea of how nature works thought they had to do something righteous and attack an industry they had no inkling on how it worked. Now, we see unchecked predators impacting other wildlife and dying of disease and the Hollywoods have no clue. What if we could magically make all the coons with distemper show up in their yard.....LOL. They'd be calling the police and demanding someone do something. The Nancy Ps are in power now , so we're gonna see more of this crap

nativeks

Just stopped to admire a winter flock of turkeys. 23 birds. 20 years ago it wouldve been 230 birds.

owlhoot

Quote from: nativeks on February 14, 2021, 03:52:01 PM
Just stopped to admire a winter flock of turkeys. 23 birds. 20 years ago it wouldve been 230 birds.
Dang same thing in Mo.
Can't believe we shot all those boss gobblers and the leftover toms won't step in until its too late.
Dint know I was that good a turkey killer. LOL