OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Your barrel clean or dirty??? Your best pattern???  (Read 5878 times)

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
Your barrel clean or dirty??? Your best pattern???
« on: January 22, 2021, 05:32:01 PM »
So just a question.

Do you get your best pattern out of a super clean barrel or dirty?

I do a deep clean of my barrel. I have a shell and choke combo that I'm sticking with. Just curious as to if you clean your barrel or let her eat? I've seen some 870 that patterned better dirty.... If I'm not mistaken APEX did a YouTube video on this.

Thanks for your time and good luck this spring.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
Re: Your barrel clean or dirty??? Your best pattern???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 05:34:51 PM »
My 870 does better clean though the difference is minimal.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 05:48:24 PM »
Every gun I own the difference is negligible between clean and dirty barrels, as is the difference when patterning in different temperatures. I typically still snake the barrel between shots but I’ve not noticed much difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 05:56:45 PM »

I'm not sure. I clean my barrel at the end of each season. Then I clean it with a bore snake after each shot at the range. Likewise if I shoot birds during the season. I'll be interested to hear what others do.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 06:15:54 PM »
I have several dedicated turkey guns. And I shoot them often. Patterns from all of them deteriorate after 4-5 shots. Some sooner.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 06:32:42 PM »
My BPS 20 gauge gets its best group on a clean barrel my 8 70 20 gauge gets better as it gets dirty same goes for 8 70 12 gauge mossberg clean barrel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 06:38:05 PM »
I’m in the don’t know crowd.   The first bird of the year is killed with a clean barrel, the last one of the year is with a dirty barrel.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 06:48:56 PM »
I’m in the don’t know crowd.   The first bird of the year is killed with a clean barrel, the last one of the year is with a dirty barrel.
  X2 .. This is the best way to answer this question..  Good one guesswho

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 07:20:59 PM »
When patterning, I try to use all the control variables that I can in determining and patterning my guns. A clean barrel is controllable. You can be sure once cleaned, it will pattern almost the same way each shot.  One can’t determine the various degrees of a dirty barrel. That’s why I use a bore snake in between shots assuring me of that controllable condition. Just my thoughts...everyone does things a bit different. Whatever works is the right way.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 07:45:56 PM »
After a deep clean at the beginning of the year I boresnake mine after every shot at the range also after every shot on a bird or bad weather. But I am super anal retentive about that stuff. Beat into my head after 23 years in the Army. Your gun is your life.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 07:47:14 PM »
I pattern clean and a few shots after, I clean the barrel at the start of my season after patterning and then again after I have tagged out or the season ends.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 08:10:59 PM »
I pattern clean and a few shots after, I clean the barrel at the start of my season after patterning and then again after I have tagged out or the season ends.

Me too, only I will use several guns over the course of most seasons.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 08:13:57 PM »
  I'm somewhere between you and RutN'.  I run a bore snake down after a couple of shots.  It's a good season If I get more than a couple tho.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 08:14:16 PM »
Cleaned and polished every spring before the season.  My 835 puts up 300 plus with Hevi 7's through a clean barrel and a .670 Pure Gold choke. 

Offline Ranger

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 08:49:08 PM »
Nobody's barrel has a better pattern dirty, no one. Only lazy to clean and superstitious folks say and believe that. William at Sumtoy and his experience with shooting long barrel shotguns at high stakes turkey shoots taught me more than I ever knew about cleaning and polishing.  Now I do it after every single shot in the woods.  You can keep polishing and continue to get better patterns after you think your barrel is clean....it can be a lot cleaner than what we think is what I learned
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough