OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Who Here " Can't " Use Horseshoe Mouth Calls + What Then Is Your Finisher?  (Read 3115 times)

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Who Here " Can't " Use Horseshoe Mouth Calls + What Then Is Your Finisher?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 10:23:52 AM »
Not a fan of mouth calls, i carry couple and use them very little.. i just like my pot calls and boxes the most..

Follow this exact procedure

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 12:28:40 PM »
I don't know a single person that has ever stuck a mouth call in their mouths and immediately was able to make "turkey noises", nor do I know anybody that didn't go through the "gag reflex" stage when learning to use one.  The fact is, it takes time, dedication, and persistence to learn to use a mouth call, but I personally believe anybody that makes that effort can do it.  I'm sure there are physical conditions (i.e...latex allergies) that can prevent folks from being able to use mouth calls, but I think most failures are due to frustration more than anything. 

With today's wide spectrum of turkey calling instruments, and the realism that can be achieved, I would never go so far as to state that learning to use a mouth call is essential to success.  I will say, however, there are circumstances and situations in turkey hunting that knowing how to use a mouth call is a very real advantage. ...And sometimes we need every advantage we can get.   :D

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 12:58:29 PM »
I don't know a single person that has ever stuck a mouth call in their mouths and immediately was able to make "turkey noises", nor do I know anybody that didn't go through the "gag reflex" stage when learning to use one.  The fact is, it takes time, dedication, and persistence to learn to use a mouth call, but I personally believe anybody that makes that effort can do it.  I'm sure there are physical conditions (i.e...latex allergies) that can prevent folks from being able to use mouth calls, but I think most failures are due to frustration more than anything. 

With today's wide spectrum of turkey calling instruments, and the realism that can be achieved, I would never go so far as to state that learning to use a mouth call is essential to success.  I will say, however, there are circumstances and situations in turkey hunting that knowing how to use a mouth call is a very real advantage. ...And sometimes we need every advantage we can get.   :D

Well stated......
“Solo hunter”

Offline afhunter1

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 01:31:10 PM »
I like to set up so when the turkey sees me he's in range.  Less hang ups then when they can see you 100yds off. 

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard

I’d say 99.9999% of the time you’re absolutely right. But as someone who has honestly spent a hundred or more hours trying over years and years and still sounds like crap I think some of us just ain’t got it Every time I drive I’m calling on a mouth call. I did today. I think my lips are too big or maybe I got a swole up tongue or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
I like the mouth call a lot. Still use a pot and wingbone or trumpet to help get the party started from time to time. Finisher is usually an elbow drop from the "top rope" of the nearest deadfall.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2021, 08:42:03 AM »
Exploring this subject a bit more...
I recognize that there are those that have legitimate reasons for not being able to master, or even become moderately competent, with the mouth call.  The latex allergy problem (reflexl) and the fat tongue/fat lip syndrome (ChesterCP) being two of the possibilities.  From what I have witnessed, the problem is more often related to 1) the amount of effort put into the endeavor, and 2) not understanding the need to find the right call design to match each individuals calling mechanics.

Almost without exception, the fellows I hunt with use mouth calls as part of their call arsenal.  Their calling mechanics are, by now, pretty well set in stone.  In addition, for the most part, they have called in gobblers using mouth calls at one time or another.  Few of them can make "classic" turkey sounds with those calls,...and quite honestly, they are generally better off sticking with other types of friction calls. 

These guys are all capable of becoming much better on a mouth call.  They have just not taken the two steps listed above.  None of them have put in the effort to practice much, or explore the various call configurations to discover what would work best for them. 

I accept and understand that they just don't care enough about it to really try to improve their mouth call skills,...and that's okay.  The fact is, though, that every one of them could become much better with mouth calls if they would just make the effort.  When all is said and done, I think their attitudes are the norm rather than the exception. 

In the end, turkeys can be killed using a lot of other devices that are much easier to master than mouth calls.   :icon_thumright:

Offline 1kwikstik

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 12:09:51 PM »
I've tried mouth calls dozens of times in the last 30 or so years. I sound like somebody strangling a turkey. Usually if I can get away with it, my only finisher is one hand behind me scratchin leaves until they get too close, then I go silent. Doesn,t always work, but a lot of times.

Offline northms

• Mississippi
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 04:08:24 PM »
The large tape on many of today’s mouth calls I do not like and that’s why I use Hooks custom calls with the smaller tape. They all come smaller and they’re perfect for me. I almost exclusively use mouth calls for turkeys now. Give them a look if you’re frustrated or don’t like current/past mouth calls you’ve run.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 04:36:15 PM »
The large tape on many of today’s mouth calls I do not like and that’s why I use Hooks custom calls with the smaller tape. They all come smaller and they’re perfect for me. I almost exclusively use mouth calls for turkeys now. Give them a look if you’re frustrated or don’t like current/past mouth calls you’ve run.
I'm a Hooks guy myself because of the small tape but I try and use other Brands as well.  Once you find a tape size that works well for you, trim down the tape to your size and try others.