News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bad lot of Winchester LB #5s

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 20, 2021, 03:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Extendo Clip on January 21, 2021, 11:25:49 AM
Were they 20 gauge? I had the same experience last uear with a box of 20 gauge #5s.  Sent em back to Winchester and they gave me a coupon.
These were 12ga. Seems like it might not be an uncommon thing the more I read. Makes me hesitant to keep using the shells, though I've used them for years and taken many birds with them. Issues with the resin make sense to me. Do you remember if the shells you had rattled if you shook them? I'd never thought to do that until the comment above in this thread. Sure enough they rattle and the new ones don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extendo Clip

I know I did a rattle test when I had them, but I can't remember if they did or not.  I still use a box if 12 gauge from three years ago and kill turkeys with it. I think as long as its not a bad batch they are good shells.

Ol timer

Read some old post on this subject it will have some interesting facts. I have been shooting LB#5 since they hit the market. Every year I'd buy a few boxes to start the new turkey season and every year a different pattering result. I always try to look back at saved pictures of old patterns with temperatures and winds to stay consistent, there definitely has been a chance in the manufacturing from when my first box's where patterning. I also tested the shells that rattled, I found no significant difference in the pattern next to the ones that did not. Also I want to say that I tested with a clean barrel also with a dirty barrel the result was evident the clean barrel on the first shot was as good as the second but fell off after that. My suggestion is try to clean your gun barrel after every shot see if that improves your pattern and keep in mind temps make a difference too. Good Luck with moving forward as I for one know it can be frustrating.

ChesterCopperpot

I've read the old posts and can tell this has been a consistent issue since they released the shells. Makes me hesitate to ever load them in the gun again. Cleared up enough today that I could shoot a little and so I patterned a couple out of the bad box to show the difference. Both of these are at 20yds, LB #5s through a .660. As said above, the above photo is what I'd expect out of that choke and that load. These, all I can say is a bad lot. The first one was a shell that rattled noticeably. The second was a shell that didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

Call Winchester with the lot number and tell them what happened. Maybe they'll take care of it.

Dtrkyman

I have seen it in the past with Hevi shot.  watched a friend "miss" a bird, went to camp to check his gun, 40yd pattern was just awful, 3 rounds in a row.  hevi shot mag blends, I think they were leaking buffer too.

One of many reasons I decided to roll my own!

longbeards

I have used and like Longbeards, till TSS hit the market it was my go to turkey round. I carry a TSS in the chamber and follow with Longbeards 6!!

I have 3 12 gauge turkey guns and they all love longbeards

captfire

had the samething happened to me. I went to tss if I had to shoot long beards I would stay home when I buy shells now I open the box and look to make sure the lot# numbers are same...

Gobble!

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 22, 2021, 04:39:35 PM
I've read the old posts and can tell this has been a consistent issue since they released the shells. Makes me hesitate to ever load them in the gun again. Cleared up enough today that I could shoot a little and so I patterned a couple out of the bad box to show the difference. Both of these are at 20yds, LB #5s through a .660. As said above, the above photo is what I'd expect out of that choke and that load. These, all I can say is a bad lot. The first one was a shell that rattled noticeably. The second was a shell that didn't.

That is bad!