turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best GPS, Hunt Plotting Phone App

Started by Tom007, January 20, 2021, 03:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_Colvin

I use gaia and onx. I use gaia for map scouting at home because of the vast amount of layers and true usgs topo maps. Their topo maps are way more detailed and the historical satellite imagery is better in most areas than onx. Onx for me is MUCH easier to use in the field for navigation. You can transfer all your pins you dropped on gaia at home to your onx account for in the field navigation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: Brad_Colvin on January 27, 2021, 07:09:46 AM
I use gaia and onx. I use gaia for map scouting at home because of the vast amount of layers and true usgs topo maps. Their topo maps are way more detailed and the historical satellite imagery is better in most areas than onx. Onx for me is MUCH easier to use in the field for navigation. You can transfer all your pins you dropped on gaia at home to your onx account for in the field navigation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great info. Thanks
"Solo hunter"

VA_Birdhunter

It's been a few years (due to being transferred with my job) but I use to use the app basemaps and really liked it.  I know the maps had a lot of detail and the platform at that time was user friendly which is always a plus for this dumb hillbilly!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Tom007

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on January 27, 2021, 03:07:56 PM
It's been a few years (due to being transferred with my job) but I use to use the app basemaps and really liked it.  I know the maps had a lot of detail and the platform at that time was user friendly which is always a plus for this dumb hillbilly!

Thank so much for the info.....
"Solo hunter"

Gobble!

Anyone mentioned OnX? My only complaint is the land owner details tend to be dated. At least for Maryland.

Tom007

Quote from: Gobble! on January 27, 2021, 03:56:26 PM
Anyone mentioned OnX? My only complaint is the land owner details tend to be dated. At least for Maryland.

I went with Huntstand . Reason being it is Multiple States vs OnX where you pay additional for more than one state. Huntstand Pro which shows property boundaries and owner info cost 24.95 per year (multiple states).  OnX cost 29.95 for a year for one state, 99.00 per year for multiple states. So far it seems real good. I will keep you updated on how it functions. Thanks for all the input.....
"Solo hunter"

Turkeyman

I currently use Gaia and like it very much. However, they have a bug they've been working on for some time whereas there are"holes" in the private lands boundaries. My subscription runs out in December. If they don't have this bug fixed by then I'll be buying Huntstand as a replacement.

Tom007

Quote from: Turkeyman on January 27, 2021, 04:46:22 PM
I currently use Gaia and like it very much. However, they have a bug they've been working on for some time whereas there are"holes" in the private lands boundaries. My subscription runs out in December. If they don't have this bug fixed by then I'll be buying Huntstand as a replacement.

Good luck with yours. I will keep you filled in on mine. I am just learning it. Once I see how it works in my spots, I will update info. Thx......
"Solo hunter"

Sir-diealot

I tried OnX. Basemap and Huntstand and Huntwise. of the 3 I liked Basmap the most and found it the easiest to use, though OnX does have more up to date maps. Avoid Huntwise, even if you do cancel before the 7 day trial is up they still charger your card monthly.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 27, 2021, 06:52:24 PM
I tried OnX. Basemap and Huntstand and Huntwise. of the 3 I liked Basmap the most and found it the easiest to use, though OnX does have more up to date maps. Avoid Huntwise, even if you do cancel before the 7 day trial is up they still charger your card monthly.

Thanks for the heads up Steve. Be safe....
"Solo hunter"

bigriverbum

where i hunt i'd say i only have cell service about 5% of the time

what advantages do these services provide if you're "offline" over say just using the state's interactive public land map and having it zoomed into where i'm hunting before i lose connection?

Tom007

Quote from: bigriverbum on January 27, 2021, 08:17:52 PM
where i hunt i'd say i only have cell service about 5% of the time

what advantages do these services provide if you're "offline" over say just using the state's interactive public land map and having it zoomed into where i'm hunting before i lose connection?

Yes, that will be my test in my New York spots.......I do get cell reception, but it's spotty in one spot...
"Solo hunter"

kyturkeyhunter4

Tom007

Quote from: kyturkeyhunter4 on January 27, 2021, 08:56:34 PM
OnX

It is a great app, except it would cost me 99 bucks a year because I hunt multiple states. OnX is an excellent app.
"Solo hunter"

bluetick58

I like basemap ive used gaia too basemap seems easier to figure out