OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best GPS, Hunt Plotting Phone App  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Best GPS, Hunt Plotting Phone App
« on: January 20, 2021, 03:22:18 PM »
Good afternoon. I wanted to get the forums feedback on which phone App would be best for GPS, turkey plotting, topography etc. I welcome your feedback. I have a Samsung Galaxy phone. Thanks much...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Mbhyman88

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Best GPS, Hunt Plotting Phone App
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 09:20:51 PM »
OnX is one that comes to mind but there may be something better.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 09:25:19 PM »
i like Onx.

Offline Nathan_Wiles

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 10:38:52 PM »
I've used OnX on my Samsung Note for a couple seasons it works very well online and offline. This is my 4th year with that app, I like it well enough to keep paying for the service.
I used it the first year in conjuction with a GPS now I just carry a compass for back up and roll with my phone.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 06:30:55 AM »
OnX
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 07:18:48 AM »
OnX
I've used OnX on my Samsung Note for a couple seasons it works very well online and offline. This is my 4th year with that app, I like it well enough to keep paying for the service.
I used it the first year in conjuction with a GPS now I just carry a compass for back up and roll with my phone.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OnX is one that comes to mind but there may be something better.

Thank you. I will definitely look into getting OnX. Be safe
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 07:19:47 AM »
i like Onx.

Thx my friend. Will get this app. Appreciate your guys advice...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 08:49:26 AM »
I use Onx.

Wait till the holidays or get the Camofire app and you can get Onx at a pretty good discount. 
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 10:53:20 AM »
I use Onx.

Wait till the holidays or get the Camofire app and you can get Onx at a pretty good discount.

Thank you, appreciate the info. Be safe....
“Solo hunter”

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 11:52:56 AM »
I use both OnX and Huntstand. If you only hunt one state, OnX is the way to go.

I found OnX to be easier or more intuitive to use. Easier to plot points, create areas for clear cuts for example, or drop lines to highlight gas lines, trails, logging roads, etc. Lines can be solid, dashed or dotted and three levels of thickness. If you hunt multiple states then the price jumps to get access on OnX, so that's a drawback. Another drawback with OnX is their satellite imagery for some states was taken in the summer with trees fully leafed out. Terrain features in states where that imagery was taken late in the fall or early spring is significantly better, you can see the ground, drainages, hemlock stands, etc. I chatted with an OnX rep couple weeks back, and they are committed to upgrade states where imagery was taken during the summer months but would not commit to when that would happen.

Huntstand gives you default access to all 50 states, is significantly cheaper for 50 state access, and has more map layers available. You can see public lands and borders, see Google terrain, and several satellite image layers taken at different times. Huntstand mapping tools are less intuitive in my opinion, they aren't as smooth and easy to use. Creating a line over an old skidder trail for example is clunky compared to OnX. But for the price, it is really nice having the extra mapping layers available in Huntstand.

So I use both. If I had to cut one it would be Huntstand though the summer satellite imagery for some states on OnX is pretty annoying. Hope they upgrade this soon.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 12:22:22 PM »
I will be odd ball and say  "Gaia gps" , haven't had a problem yet, hunt multiple states for 1 price, think it was a premium membership.   
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 12:24:00 PM »
I will be odd ball and say  "Gaia gps" , haven't had a problem yet, hunt multiple states for 1 price, think it was a premium membership.

Wow, I will check on that too. Thank you....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 12:28:22 PM »
I use both OnX and Huntstand. If you only hunt one state, OnX is the way to go.

I found OnX to be easier or more intuitive to use. Easier to plot points, create areas for clear cuts for example, or drop lines to highlight gas lines, trails, logging roads, etc. Lines can be solid, dashed or dotted and three levels of thickness. If you hunt multiple states then the price jumps to get access on OnX, so that's a drawback. Another drawback with OnX is their satellite imagery for some states was taken in the summer with trees fully leafed out. Terrain features in states where that imagery was taken late in the fall or early spring is significantly better, you can see the ground, drainages, hemlock stands, etc. I chatted with an OnX rep couple weeks back, and they are committed to upgrade states where imagery was taken during the summer months but would not commit to when that would happen.

Huntstand gives you default access to all 50 states, is significantly cheaper for 50 state access, and has more map layers available. You can see public lands and borders, see Google terrain, and several satellite image layers taken at different times. Huntstand mapping tools are less intuitive in my opinion, they aren't as smooth and easy to use. Creating a line over an old skidder trail for example is clunky compared to OnX. But for the price, it is really nice having the extra mapping layers available in Huntstand.

So I use both. If I had to cut one it would be Huntstand though the summer satellite imagery for some states on OnX is pretty annoying. Hope they upgrade this soon.

Sorry PA, just saw this. Thank you. I am glad Huntstand is good in all the states. I want that access. Be safe my friend...
“Solo hunter”

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 05:35:02 PM »
If you have any close buddies that use one, really close friends though - the kind you will share spots with.  It is nice to send one of my nephews a pin about where to listen or set up.  So getting the same app as them makes it nice.

I too use OnX.  use the offline feature and download your maps on wifi so you are good to go with sketchy service in a river swamp.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 05:39:36 PM »
If you have any close buddies that use one, really close friends though - the kind you will share spots with.  It is nice to send one of my nephews a pin about where to listen or set up.  So getting the same app as them makes it nice.

I too use OnX.  use the offline feature and download your maps on wifi so you are good to go with sketchy service in a river swamp.

Thx my friend, great thought......
“Solo hunter”