OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: If you had to add one new call?  (Read 4765 times)

Online RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: If you had to add one new call?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 10:39:45 AM »
Guess there are a few ways to look at that question. I’ve you have a limited number of calls which I’m assuming is not the case I’d fill the spot it with something I didn’t have. Something to add a niche. Say a higher pitched call or a raspier call, another type call, etc
That being said it sounds like more of a speculation. What call would you add sight unseen or having actually played it? Here’s another thing. All calls with the same specs often don’t sound alike.
I’d look at what I had and fill in whatever I thought I needed to. If you were full and just wanted another call whatever hits you’re fancy button

You pretty much summed it up. My vest is full with a box, 3 pots and numerous mouth calls and a Gibson crow. So I’m good as far as filling the vest and probably will look at dropping one of the pots this season. I’m mainly asking if you wanted a new call, whether it be to replace one in the vest or just to add to your collection and swap in and out of the vest throughout the season. My thoughts and hope is to one day have a large collection of calls that I hunted with through my years and my son basically have a box of “dads old Turkey calls” that may or may not have any sentimental value to him or he wants to hunt with.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 01:55:41 PM »
Guess there are a few ways to look at that question. I’ve you have a limited number of calls which I’m assuming is not the case I’d fill the spot it with something I didn’t have. Something to add a niche. Say a higher pitched call or a raspier call, another type call, etc
That being said it sounds like more of a speculation. What call would you add sight unseen or having actually played it? Here’s another thing. All calls with the same specs often don’t sound alike.
I’d look at what I had and fill in whatever I thought I needed to. If you were full and just wanted another call whatever hits you’re fancy button
X3 ... i so agree.. i carry several calls , and i'm always listening and looking for more with the sounds that fit the areas i hunt..

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 04:59:42 PM »
No doubt, an OG pushpin for sure.......
Nice Choice!

I have a few things on my wish list, and that one is probably the hardest to get!

Really? My dad has a pushpin that I remember from when I was a kid but don’t know who made it. Maybe a knight and hale. 
No doubt, an OG pushpin for sure.......
Nice Choice!

I have a few things on my wish list, and that one is probably the hardest to get!

You bet, quiet killers for sure..........
“Solo hunter”

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 07:14:02 AM »
After all I've read on this site recently, and after watching a few videos, I think I "need" a Winky Hicks push pin/slate combo. 
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Tyoung

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 09:54:00 AM »
Great addition to an arsenal.

Offline Tyoung

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 09:55:58 AM »
The Winky Hicks is a great addition.

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 08:42:24 PM »
Likely something from Timothy Oldham, Rick Harro or Wendell Lancaster
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 09:34:30 PM »
I have been really enjoying hunting with trumpets and wing bones along with a long box.  Here are is a  call that has really been fun trying to learn and play and will give you different sounds than a conventional slate or box call .It’s a Doug Herman nail call there used to be a YouTube video of it. Check it out if you want something totally different. Just something to add to your bag of tricks!!

Offline silverspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2021, 07:06:50 AM »
A Frank Cox trumpet I would add to my vest.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2021, 08:33:42 AM »
Didn’t have any plans on new calls unless my name popped on a few lists. With that said, I left Unicoi last year with money in my pocket and a few calls I wished I would have bought. One was a wingbone, just seems to go with my new found infatuation with trumpets. Hopefully a certain wingbone maker will be able to get to me in a few months and I might just get to hunt with one this spring.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2021, 09:17:37 AM »
Didn’t have any plans on new calls unless my name popped on a few lists. With that said, I left Unicoi last year with money in my pocket and a few calls I wished I would have bought. One was a wingbone, just seems to go with my new found infatuation with trumpets. Hopefully a certain wingbone maker will be able to get to me in a few months and I might just get to hunt with one this spring.

Like you, I am finally adding a Wingbone call from EZ this year. I never tried one, but I will learn it. It’s coming soon. I sure need to practice before our opener....
“Solo hunter”