OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: the Gibson call  (Read 1974 times)

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
the Gibson call
« on: January 20, 2021, 09:48:23 AM »

Who else has used the Primos repro of the Gibson on a bird?

Offline BBR12

Re: the Gibson call
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 06:52:45 PM »
Not me mine does not sound very good. If my home state was some of the ones that I have traveled to I might would, but it’s hard enough to kill a SW MS eastern with a good sounding call.

Congratulations on the kill!!

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 07:40:45 PM »
It is very difficult to get good sound from it. I had been playing with it quite a bit. When I got Mr. Will to sign it he looked at it and pulled out his pocket knife to adjust the screw. Without a spring you have to maintain back tension on the paddle. He showed me what he was doing and I finally got the hang of it. I have a lot of calls that sound much better but it was really cool getting it out with an old model 12 and calling in a bird with it. Hard to work is an understatement.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 07:50:27 PM »
yes neat call but i saw the video of Will using on a hunt, he killed one that day but the call sounded really bad!

Offline chefrific

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 01:26:51 PM »
I've got one of them and agree that they sound terrible.  My preferred box is turpin/hen box style, so I'm very familiar with running a box like this Gibson replica. 
It's terrible.  But... could still call a turkey.  I've heard worse from a real hen.  A randy 2-year-old spring gobbler will come to almost anything if the mood hits him right.
The box may not sound 'good', but it's a nice piece to have in the collection to reflect on days past.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 09:20:54 PM »
Part of the fun with this thing was going old school. Using 100 year old state of the art technology with an old gun did make for some interesting hunting. I may even take it out again.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 09:22:42 PM »
very nice what is the gun?

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 01:36:49 PM »
very nice what is the gun?
Sure looks to be a Model 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 06:52:12 PM »
    Yes 1936 model 12. It belonged to my late best friend. He was like a father to me. He always wanted me to kill a bird with it. It didn't happen till after he died. I bought the Gibson call at the Mc Minnville TN NWTF banquet. After I got it I thought it would be really cool to get Mr. Will to sign it. For those that don't know Will (Primos) had one of the original Gibson calls. He decided it would be better off in the NWTF museum so everyone could see it. They built the calls as an exact copy of the original down to the exact same screw used in the original. I carried it to Nashville to the national convention. When I laid it on the table where he was signing autographs he did a double take and asked me where I got it. I told him Mc Minnville. He rolled it over and said I remember this one. It has a knot right on the edge of the box right where the paddle contacts it. He told me they were going to throw it away. He said I'll show you why I didn't. After he adjusted it he played it right on the knot. It actually sounded half way decent as long as the paddle was on the knot.
    After he signed it he told me that it was the first one anyone had brought him to sign. He then asked me what I was going to do with it. I told him I wanted to kill at least one bird with it then it would go in the collection. I knew he loved old shotguns  and I told him I planned on taking the model 12 along with the call. I could tell he liked the idea. He said if you do I want a picture with the call and the gun. On the third trip to the woods I was able to call in two gobblers with the Gibson and I took one with the model 12. When I took the picture to him I carried a copy and got him to sign it. He made me sign the one I gave him. I was very happy to finally get a bird with Richard's gun.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 07:00:39 PM »
reflexl that is a awesome story! thanks for sharing..

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 07:07:43 PM »
Fantastic story....
“Solo hunter”

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 07:09:16 PM »
Great story and photos-I grew up on a Model 12 16ga.  The call for sure lacks the chops of contemporary calls, but a great nod to history and was a good fundraiser for NWTF

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 08:03:52 PM »
Glad you fellers liked it. Killing the bird with Richard's old model 12 made using the call that much better.

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 08:08:25 PM »
Great story. Thanks

Offline turkeyhunter91

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 09:11:06 AM »
great story thats really cool how all of it came together, good looking bird also.