OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Perfect range for you?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Re: Perfect range for you?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 08:24:54 PM »
Yup. 20-30 yards. And none of this watching him thump my decoy stuff. When he’s in range, I’m shooting. Too much of a chance Murphy will show up.

LOL  I did that once.  He was putting on a show in a field and he finally came over to check the hen out (me).  He strutted around looking and looking for her, gobbling and putting on a show.  He was my last bird for the year, so I decided to enjoy it.  He suddenly semi-spooked on something across the field (I could not see what) and ducked his head and was heading out. I shot him with his head stretched low, kind of sideways to me and I won't ever do it again. I killed him easily, but there were a bunch of pellets in the breast. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Brad_Colvin

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 08:44:00 PM »
I take the first good shot I have once he's inside 40.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 08:54:07 PM »
once he's within 40 i make my move first chance i can to get the bead on him without detection. then it's just a matter of a clear shot. most of my birds have been shot at about 25 yards

shot a few at 10 yards and closer but that was just luck of a kamikazee tom and by chance being hidden perfectly from them

i'm terrible at gauging distance so i hate hunting fields. my only misses have been shooting at a bird that was further away than i thought

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 08:56:33 PM »
a tom i shot last year was running in and going to keep running right on past me. i was squealing on my mouth call to get him to stop. i won't take a running shot. he stopped at about 10 yards thank god

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 11:27:34 PM »
I like them close. 20 is about perfect. I cant remember the last time I shot a birds over 25 yards. 02 maybe.

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 04:25:44 AM »
25-30.
Love watching the show before I feed’em a hot load of TSS 9’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2021, 06:19:37 AM »
With todays loads and chokes, I'll say 30.  Old school lead and older chokes, I would say 20 to 25.  This is with a 12 gauge comparison.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2021, 08:31:26 AM »
Honestly now that I'm shooting tss I usually shoot them between 30-40.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2021, 08:35:00 AM »
First shot I have and preferably between 25-40 yards.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2021, 08:41:32 AM »
First clean shot between 25 and 35 yards is my sweet spot.  I have missed too many giving them warning shots inside 20 yards or so.

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 08:50:16 AM »
Yup. 20-30 yards. And none of this watching him thump my decoy stuff. When he’s in range, I’m shooting. Too much of a chance Murphy will show up.

^^^^
Same with me.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2021, 09:37:37 AM »
I would say that 30 yards plus or minus is optimal for the gun and loads I shoot.  I will confidently shoot them both much closer and farther away, but that approximate range suits me just fine. 

Now, if I was shooting a gun with the 40-yard patterns that I have seen from some of the guys on here, I would never let a gobbler get closer than thirty yards,...and would most likely be shooting when he got to forty.  I personally do not believe I would be much good at shooting a gobbler at very close range with what amounts to a rifle. With my abilities, I need a little "leeway" provided by a more open pattern.   :) :o

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2021, 09:46:33 AM »
I have shot them farther than I like but my perfect shot is less than 30 yards. I like them up close and I am careful with my really tight guns. Most of mine have been 20-25. Closest shot I ever had was 18'.

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2021, 11:10:19 AM »
My pattern with Winchester Double X HV and a .665 IC is best at 30 yards. Starts getting too tight for comfort if he’s bobbing his head around much closer that that. Can’t imagine I’d choose to let him get closer than 30 after I pattern the Win Longbeards I picked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2021, 01:16:46 PM »
Guess I'm an outlier. I take the first shot he gives me once he comes within range. Too much can go wrong too quickly when you let them keep coming.

Last year my average distance was 41 yards out of a bunch of birds. Closest was 22 yards. Four were 25 or less.

2019 season average shot distance was 35 yards. Closest was 17. Four were 25 or less.