News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi-shot chambered & LB XR as backup

Started by northms, January 18, 2021, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsmen

Hevi13 #6 followed by LB #4.

As the timber greens up and gets thick i open my my pattern cause shots will be alot closer.

Meleagris gallopavo

I do that.  I have TSS as my chambered round and Longbeard as follow up shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Mossberg90MN

Yea I just carry 3 shells total.

2 in the gun and 1 in the vest.

TSS

The way I see it is if I couldn't get him in 2 shots, I'm probably not gonna get him in 3.

And if I did get him with the first and it was a poor shot, the 2nd should take care of it.

owlhoot

Giving this some more thought. Starting out turkey hunting in the 70's I initially used Remington Express 2 3/4" 6 shot which patterned the best for the head and neck shot. Backup loads were 3" Remington Magnum number 2 shot due to the hard hitting bone breaking capability I thought would be good for an escaping or wounded gobbler . Costs never became an issue.
So now for me and it seems for others in some cases too that backup loads being used are cheaper loads , lead loads following TSS , Federal HW, Hevi13. With the 20 gauge I load TSS 9's in the chamber followed by HW 7's because of the costs.
Maybe not the best thing to do?
What do you guys think?

Quote from: davisd9 on January 18, 2021, 09:50:56 PM
Your first shot will be your best shot so if you are going to back up it should be with the better shot.

Meleagris gallopavo

I use the expensive shell (TSS) first followed by the cheaper shell that can still do a lot of damage at a longer distance.  I put most of my money in the first shot.  I have seldom had to shoot one twice, which is probably what most folks on here have experienced. 

Kylongspur88

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 19, 2021, 07:43:54 AM
I've always run #4s behind whatever my gun patterned best because of turkey hunts that wind up like the picture below. This year I'll be running Hevi 13 #7 in the chamber with LB #4s behind it.

This is what I do if I don't have all 3 already chambered in 4s for that reason

davisd9

TSS 9s, Hevi 6s, Federal HW 7s will kill a coyote just as dead as lead 4s at the same distance.  Your first shot is your best shot so if using different ammo your second and third shell should be the superior shells.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Remington700

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on January 19, 2021, 06:54:23 PM
One in the chamber and two in the magazine.  Always use the same load for all three rounds.
^^^this^^^

Gobble!

I can't bring myself to use an inferior shell behind my first just to save a couple dollars.

Yelper

I use the same shell to load my gun all the time.

Based on the thought of loading the hevishot or TSS shell followed by the longbeard doesn't sound like the right option, LB shoot such a tight group that it should be the first one shot since that should be the best shot you get and therefore if a miss happens I would rather be shooting a shell that does not shoot such a tight group for the follow up shot since the odds are, he will be running or moving fast and a wider pattern would be better. JMO

Meleagris gallopavo

To be honest I don't think it matters an awful lot.  My thought process is that the Longbeard is less forgiving for close shots.  All the birds I shoot are 30 yards or less.  If I miss with the first shot the bird is likely going to be moving further away from me, hence having the Longbeard as the follow up.  To each their own...

Cowboy

Back when I was growing up. Dad always had us shoot #6 turkey loads backed up with a couple of #4 shot. This was in the 80s and early 90s. Since then however, I just run all three the same. With what ever my gun shoots the best on the pattern board. I still haven't jumped on the TSS bandwagon yet. Longbeards XR #6 for me. But most of the time I'm shooting a Remington 1100 in 2 3/4 inch chamber.  Haven't been able to find any LB in 2 3/4 in awhile now. Have a few still left but I'm not even sure they are still making them?