OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hevi-shot chambered & LB XR as backup  (Read 3177 times)

Offline northms

• Mississippi
Hevi-shot chambered & LB XR as backup
« on: January 18, 2021, 08:53:44 PM »
Well deer season here in MS will be ending soon and attention turning to turkeys. I’ve been keeping my eyes open at stores for turkeys shells, specifically LB XR 3” 6 shot which I have used last few years and has performed quite well. The shelves at sporting good stores and big box stores, plus online in many places, are bare. Lots of turkey hunters are going to be upset when they roll into the stores week before the season this year and there’s nothing there.

I did see some hevi-shot 5,6,7 3.5” shells available today and I did pick up one box of the LB XR 5s which were available somehow but selling fast.

My question is, do many of you who shoot hevi-shot or TSS use lead shot or “cheaper” shells as numbers two and three in your gun with the high dollar shell in the chamber? Someone mentioned this to me today and I thought it was a good idea. With shells scarce this year lots of average guys going to be shooting whatever they can get their hands on. I’m debating on biting the bullet and buying some of the hevi-shot to see how it compares. LB XR has put a whooping on the birds for me in the past.

Offline Nathan_Wiles

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Hevi-shot chambered & LB XR as backup
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 09:02:06 PM »
I run two TSS #9's followed by 2 hevi-shot 7's in my 870 20gauge. In my new Franchi A3 20 I'll probably do something similar.
12 gauge Nova pump is TSS followed by HV magblend.
I used to follow the first 2 shells with lead 5's but over several seasons I've picked up these other options, so I use em.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 09:24:04 PM »
all three the same, once in 100 ish birds I fired two shots! Got crossed up and hit one low, he was gimping off and I finished him with a nice head shot.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 09:50:56 PM »
Your first shot will be your best shot so if you are going to back up it should be with the better shot. I just load all three the same as it does not make much sense to me to do it any differently.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 10:21:43 PM »
Your first shot will be your best shot so if you are going to back up it should be with the better shot. I just load all three the same as it does not make much sense to me to do it any differently.

I considered doing what the OP is asking about, but the above is what I do for the reason mentioned. I`ll load three 3", 2oz. #6 Hevi-13s in my 12 gauge 870 Super Mag. JMO, but in 12 gauge I don`t think you can shoot any better shells than Hevi-13s or Longbeard  XRs. Sub gauges, different story. TSS.

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 04:59:00 AM »
It's Hevi 7's ALL the way for me.  My 835 loves the 7's and is Lights Out with them, if I do my job.  My suggestion to you is, if you find a shell that you have confidence in and your gun shoots well, buy enough to last.  Ammo is hard to come by and there isn't a shell that is the Holy Grail IMO.  They only increase in price as ammo becomes harder and harder to come by. 

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 07:43:54 AM »
I’ve always run #4s behind whatever my gun patterned best because of turkey hunts that wind up like the picture below. This year I’ll be running Hevi 13 #7 in the chamber with LB #4s behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 02:48:08 PM »
In the last 12 gauge that I used to shoot I used Federal HW7 followed by Federal thugs 5 lead shot.
The lead 5 shot load patterned a bit wider for follow ups in the brushy timber.
One thing that I ran into was the same color of shells and the fact that Federal stamping on the shells just flat wears off. In the predawn it can become hard see.
A friend and I pulled off a double, he shot first of course, I got the second tom with head bobbing get out of there shot. I immediately said did you see how that tom slammed to the ground with those HW7 loads. He laughingly said yep as he handed me my empty thug 5 hull. Worked that time but its 40 yard pattern with the thugs left something to be desired.
Good job on the yotes Chester Copperpot  :icon_thumright:
To the OP I think its a good idea in your case you have the black winchester shells and different color Magblend shells.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:04:19 PM by owlhoot »

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 05:49:02 PM »
Always the same type, that way i don't have to worry about having a mix , to get confused in the dark loading the gun etc..

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 06:54:23 PM »
One in the chamber and two in the magazine.  Always use the same load for all three rounds.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 07:08:24 PM »
I typically always load 3 of the same. My gun has never shot the same poi with different shells.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 08:29:37 PM »
I shoot all 3 Fed HW#7 in my SA 459.  I have plenty in my safe, so no worries.  One of the rare times in my life I stocked up before it was too late.  Got them at good price too. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 08:14:52 AM »
Since the main area I hunt is lead free shot only I just load it up with the expensive stuff.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »

Agree totally.  Figure out what you are willing to spend for a shotgun shell, get the best load that suits your gun in that price range, and put that shell in your gun,...first round to last round.  No need to overthink this stuff. 

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 11:16:43 AM »
So in my opinion if you are looking for the best shell money can buy. Look at Nitro Custom shells. www.nitrocompany.com
Look up your model gun under recommendations. It will give you a choke brand and constriction, model of custom shell and the pellet count in a 10" circle at 40 yards... They have heavyshot, TSS, and coper or nickel.

I use Nitro Heavyshot, I also carry Remington Nitro #5, because they pattern well close out to 40 (not great but good). I keep the cheap shells in my vest just encase I'm in thick stuff and the shot will be super close...

No matter what you go with good luck.