OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TSS Shot trap  (Read 3012 times)

Offline B Rogers

TSS Shot trap
« on: January 14, 2021, 07:14:10 PM »
I plan to build a shot trap soon but had a few questions.

1. Will the shot split if the metal backing is too thick/stiff? I got a free piece of 12 gauge steel for backing but I know most plans call for 20 gauge or thinner. With TSS being so hard I thought it might be brittle as well and need some “give” from thinner sheet metal.

2. If using the thicker plate, should I add a 5th layer of rubber backed carpet?

3. Should the carpet side be facing out or the rubber side?

Thanks in advance.

Online NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: TSS Shot trap
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:53:24 AM »
Can not answer your questions but about a year ago there was a long thread about this topic. Do not remember if there were answers to your questions but you might want to do a site search for that thread.

Offline B Rogers

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 04:51:48 PM »
Thanks. I was able to find one from last May. The fella used canvas drop cloths. I may go that route. Sounds like it holds up well if not shooting inside 30 yards. I guess I should’ve did a quick search to begin with.

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 01:49:28 PM »
I have 1/4" steel for the back. I just use old carpet I've gathered. 3 rows of it. Rarely get a broken pellet

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 10:32:40 PM »
When I first started loading TSS 6-7 years ago I just took a plastic 55 gallon drum and cut the top out and laid it on its side on the ground and crammed it full of pizza boxes and old towels. Place your paper target in front of the barrel and shoot and you will catch about 75% of the shot at 40 yards. After a little experimenting I discovered that extensive patterning with TSS was a waste of time and money. TSS with a bad choke is still going to shoot way better than any other load with a good choke as far as numbers go. All the patterning did was confirm POA/POI were the same. 

Offline Spyderman

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 11:01:02 AM »
Stupid question. What is the purpose of a TSS trap? are you collecting the shot for reuse in future loads?

Offline B Rogers

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 12:54:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies. And yes with it being so expensive this is to capture it for future reloads.

Offline HunterS5

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 02:50:00 PM »
If you can convince 'em to stand in front of the trap when you shoot 'em, can't you just have 'em walk into a cage? 

Offline longbeards

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 07:00:55 PM »
I am fortunate to have a 100 yard range and bench here at house. I also have a shot trap for my turkey guns. My son built it when he started shooting Heavy shot about 5 years ago. He took a heavy out door rug matt that was like 6 feet wide and 4 ft long and cut it into 30 inch blocks. He was able to put like 8 of them in a row hanging down directly behind the target frame. It traps about 95 percent or more of the shot and it is undamaged. He reloads that in his 410 rounds and its deadly! Highly recommend it!

BRING ON SPRING!

Offline B Rogers

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 07:36:30 PM »
If you can convince 'em to stand in front of the trap when you shoot 'em, can't you just have 'em walk into a cage? 
Training them to do that is half the fun.  :boon:

Offline B Rogers

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 07:37:13 PM »
I am fortunate to have a 100 yard range and bench here at house. I also have a shot trap for my turkey guns. My son built it when he started shooting Heavy shot about 5 years ago. He took a heavy out door rug matt that was like 6 feet wide and 4 ft long and cut it into 30 inch blocks. He was able to put like 8 of them in a row hanging down directly behind the target frame. It traps about 95 percent or more of the shot and it is undamaged. He reloads that in his 410 rounds and its deadly! Highly recommend it!

BRING ON SPRING!
Does he face the carpet side of the rug toward the incoming shot or away?