OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First-Time Turkey Hunter Guide  (Read 5128 times)

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
Re: First-Time Turkey Hunter Guide
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 08:27:55 AM »

If your focusing on your bead wing shooting your doing it wrong. Your focus should be on the target not the end of your barrel. It is imperative you mount your sun properly and the same way every time. I dont even see my bead or rib when wing shooting. Turkey hunting you usually have plenty of time to make sure the bead is down and centered on the rib no matter how you mount the gun. Same as you would if shooting sights except the rib becomes the rear sight.

I quite agree. I think you misunderstood. I don't try to focus on anything when I'm wingshooting. It's all instinctual.  When I'm turkey hunting, that all changes. My problem was I couldn't see the bead anymore.  That's why I mounted a scope. 

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 03:19:22 PM »
You have to use a fiber optic bead.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 06:45:33 PM »
I used to have an old saying I told newbies at work when they were about to make their first presentation to a group, Keep everything in your wheelhouse, only  talk about what you know and know what your talking about", if it gets outside those lines that is where you'll embarrass yourself".

So my advice on guns is know what your shooting and know what your shooting it with, anything outside of those capabilities will leave you mad and embarrassed". Any gun and load will work inside of it's capabilities. Heck a couple years ago I decided to take my old Improved cylinder by full choke, 2 3/4" chamber O/U with high brass pheasant loads, just because it's an old classic and my favorite all time gun. I killed a gobbler opening morning at 12 yards, I let him walk right to my lap because "I knew what I was shooting and what I was shooting with". My advice is don't  get hung up on guns, there are bigger things to learn turkey hunting.

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »
I have gotten gobblers with 7 different shotguns.I always shoot lead BBs. Extra full, or full.23 gobblers in 20 years.