OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Garrett Fowler Brass

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 18, 2021, 02:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

A couple new brass calls from Garrett Fowler, paired with some of JLH's finest. These things are absolute scorchers. Too windy today to go outside and make a sound file but I will some time in the next week or so. This makes the fifth of Garrett's calls I've got in the collection and all are pure turkey. A gray slate of his is almost always riding in my vest.

Anyhow, I doubt anyone knows Garrett or his brother, Kyle's calls. But I live in Jackson County, North Carolina and there's a high school where every kid that's took wood shop for the last couple decades learned how to turn a pot. That's thanks to a teacher and mentor who some of the old timers here in the OG Forum might know, or have in the collection: Jack Mincey (Mincey turns a fine, fine pot). The Fowler brothers are two of his students for whom the passion just stuck. They're both turning wonderful calls and if you ever get the chance to pick one up do it. They occasionally post some stuff on Instagram (@callem_up_calls) or on Facebook at "Call em up calls & wood work."

The green one in the photo is straight brass and the red one is half blasted. The red one is headed off to a friend, but I'll try to make a sound file for the green one some time later this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkey stew

Congrats! Jack Mincey makes a mighty fine pot call and crow call! I`m sure these are just as good.

3bailey3

Very good looking callers, cant wait to hear one!

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 18, 2021, 02:44:39 PM
A couple new brass calls from Garrett Fowler, paired with some of JLH's finest. These things are absolute scorchers. Too windy today to go outside and make a sound file but I will some time in the next week or so. This makes the fifth of Garrett's calls I've got in the collection and all are pure turkey. A gray slate of his is almost always riding in my vest.

Anyhow, I doubt anyone knows Garrett or his brother, Kyle's calls. But I live in Jackson County, North Carolina and there's a high school where every kid that's took wood shop for the last couple decades learned how to turn a pot. That's thanks to a teacher and mentor who some of the old timers here in the OG Forum might know, or have in the collection: Jack Mincey (Mincey turns a fine, fine pot). The Fowler brothers are two of his students for whom the passion just stuck. They're both turning wonderful calls and if you ever get the chance to pick one up do it. They occasionally post some stuff on Instagram (@callem_up_calls) or on Facebook at "Call em up calls & wood work."

The green one in the photo is straight brass and the red one is half blasted. The red one is headed off to a friend, but I'll try to make a sound file for the green one some time later this week.

Beauties, love that snake wood striker, wow
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Yeah, that snakewood is mean [mention]Tom007 [/mention]! It'll sing on about any surface you put it to. I tell you one I'm really surprised by, though, on this brass pot is a Bill Lyman carbon tip webwood striker. Somehow it cuts the rasp and can even make the brass play soft. When I make a sound file for the call I'll try to play both strikers so you can hear the difference.

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 18, 2021, 06:48:12 PM
Yeah, that snakewood is mean [mention]Tom007 [/mention]! It'll sing on about any surface you put it to. I tell you one I'm really surprised by, though, on this brass pot is a Bill Lyman carbon tip webwood striker. Somehow it cuts the rasp and can even make the brass play soft. When I make a sound file for the call I'll try to play both strikers so you can hear the difference.

Fantastic. Can't wait to hear it. Best of luck, killer looking set-up....
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Here's a sound file on that call. I think it'll make a hell of a windy day call if you really want to scream. Also make a good late season option when they've heard everything under the sun. https://youtu.be/nDeb9LyUW9U

turkeyfool

It sounds really good actually. I've been looking to add a brass/copper to my pot collection. I also don't have many slates so I was thinking about picking up one as well.

For me, I just love the sound of plain aluminum. I've tried titanium for 2 or 3 different makers, but to be honest, I just don't the surface

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: turkeyfool on January 19, 2021, 02:05:40 PM
It sounds really good actually. I've been looking to add a brass/copper to my pot collection. I also don't have many slates so I was thinking about picking up one as well.

For me, I just love the sound of plain aluminum. I've tried titanium for 2 or 3 different makers, but to be honest, I just don't the surface
I really like aluminum and copper both, but I'm a slate man through and through. Garrett makes a really nice slate over glass. I've got a sound file for one of them I carry a good bit. It's got multiple dead gobblers to its credit. https://youtu.be/rHs1NWG3Kkw

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 19, 2021, 10:13:00 AM
Here's a sound file on that call. I think it'll make a hell of a windy day call if you really want to scream. Also make a good late season option when they've heard everything under the sun. https://youtu.be/nDeb9LyUW9U

It is exactly what you said, all turkey. Thanks for sharing......
"Solo hunter"