News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet Advice

Started by rakkin6, January 09, 2021, 12:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

My advice is to start drinking heavily.

You won't have to wait until spring 2022 to use your trumpet if you take learning to use it seriously.
There is plenty of time to be ready for this spring if you practice daily, use the same discipline you would for any musical instrument.

If you have the ability to use a trumpet at all you'll be good enough by spring to call gobblers.

Some of the best advice I've heard on getting started came from Billy Buice, and that was play it daily 10-15 minutes while your mouth is getting used to it. Don't practice 2 hrs. one day and skip several days.

Use the lanyard, drive around with it and learn to play it one handed, which you will need to learn anyway.

watch the u-tubes mentioned, add Del Crow (savduck) on here to the list if not already mentioned. as you progress and rewatch them you'll understand stuff that went over your head in the beginning.

Also your first season it doesn't hurt to pray for gobblers that rode the short bus when they were growing up

tnanh

I dont play great but I do kill a turkey sometimes. I have found a cane yelper is easier to learn with. Kevin Rouse makes a great one that is easy to play. I also have an Anthony Ezolt wing bone that plays easy. Only advice I give you is get the basics from You Tube and then after you get the rhythm and basics down sound like yourself and dont copy anyone else. I am not a great caller but I can do it. Definitely wont win even a beginner competition.

EZ

I have a funny feeling he's gonna get bitten by the Yelper bug. It's a small club but we are welcoming!!!!

willy9889

I typically always have at least one trumpet in my truck and often practice
10 of 15 minutes at a time while driving. No expert by any means but have
come a long ways since I started.
I had a close buddy out one morning to try and call in his first longbeard.
We got in at dark thirty and were fortunate to set up within 50 yds of a couple roosted gobblers.
Just before fly down I gave a few soft purrs and clucks on a copper pot call. The birds responded but after fly down they ignored my calls and were heading to some birds gobbling on the next farm south.
I pulled out my model 45, gave a few clucks, soft yelps and some kee kees.
The birds made an abrupt turn and came in on the run. My buddy proceeded to shoot the lead bird
and he was pretty excited to harvest his first bird. I have no doubt that bird would not have came in
had I not used that trumpet.
Sorry about the long winded hijack but my point is......spend the time learning how to run that trumpet. Its time very well spent!!

rakkin6

That's what I did with my mouth call. Kept. A couple in the truck and practiced while driving. I definitely got weird looks when my windows were down and stopped at a red light and the car next to me could hear me.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

savannahrivergoobler

IMO you made a wise choice.  Ralph makes a great call and for my lips it runs very easy.
My advice is to stick with one trumpet and learn it.  A) it will save you a lot of money and B) there are no magic bullets out there.  I have a few trumpets (lol) from some great call makers.  A lot from the big name guys and a good many from guys you have never heard of.  Everyone of them will kill a turkey and I have no problem grabbing any one of them on my way to the woods.  I started out using a Penn Woods tom turpin yelper purchased at Walmart.  I didn't sound good, but killed turkeys.

You may never sound like a champion caller, but remember there are some pretty bad sounding hens in the woods and they seem to drive the tom's crazy.  Trumpets are killers.

Chris O

Practice now and you can kill turkeys by spring. Call softly and record yourself from 30 yds. Away you will sound better than you thought. Try to sound like a actual turkey. Not a person playing a trumpet. Both will call turkeys though, soft is key to sound more turkey