OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hiking To Get Ready For Tough Public Land Turkey Hunts.  (Read 2815 times)

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
Hiking To Get Ready For Tough Public Land Turkey Hunts.
« on: January 13, 2021, 08:48:04 AM »
     I Hike the Year Round. I ramp the Hiking up in January  and as Spring Turkey Season nears- we call that Scouting.
    Up here in New York + New Jersey, need to be in Shape for Pre- dawn hikes up mountains during Spring Turkey Season.  I combine Long Flat Hikes of 2- 4 miles with at least 1 mountain Hike on a weekend day.
     Who else here Hikes plenty before Spring Turkey Season ?

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Hiking To Get Ready For Tough Public Land Turkey Hunts.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 11:54:19 AM »
I usually do but not as strenuous as you do. I haven't lately. I guess I got old and lazy.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »
Absolutely!  I am at that age where, if i don't keep the joints and muscled loosened up pretty regularly, I am asking for trouble.  Fortunately, I live in a state that has an abundance of public lands and hunting opportunities for a number of species year-round, so it is pretty easy to get out two or three times a week to get that exercise. 

Also, being retired gives me the flexibility to choose when and where I want to go.  I can choose flat, desert walking, high-altitude, straight up and down mountain hiking, and pretty much everything in between. ...In recent years, the "flat, desert walking" seems to win out more often than the others.   ;D

Offline rstewart8706

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 07:30:28 AM »
 My buddy is going to turkey hunt for first time since 2000 this season.  We started walking on gated forest service roads as soon as the firearm deer/bear season ended.  We are trying to walk at least 2 times a week and will increase that to 3 times per week as the season approaches.   
Yesterday after I got off work we did about 2.5 miles, gaining about 500 feet in elevation.  Last season I felt that I was not in good enough physical condition to chase some of the birds I heard and had to leave them be.  That will not be the case this year! 

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 10:30:24 PM »
I took up running the end of last season. I intermittent fast, run, do abs, and pushups. I try for 10 miles a week. Ive dropped 50 lbs, and have more energy. Pushing my decoy cart into hard to reach spots duck hunting has shown me just how great of shape I am in. I was approaching 300# last Jan, now I am at 250#.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 08:36:02 PM »
My biggest exercise this time of year is taking the dog out to go potty, we walk at least down the road and back and sometimes around the block. I am going to be more active trying to get pictures with my new lens so that will add some as well. Does walking to the refrigerator count?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 11:11:45 AM »
 Does walking to the refrigerator count?

If they did I would be in great shape....LOL

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 07:44:56 PM »
It’s a year round thing for me too. Just got back from a late season cow elk hunt in  Colorado last week. 6000-8000 ft. 4-5 miles every day. I did pretty darn good, but was sore when we got home. Turkey season in Iowa should be pretty easy.

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 04:35:46 PM »
I'm pretty active and run pretty regularly. Bow hunting and shed hunting in eastern kentucky keeps me in shape for spring turkey. A lot of the off trail hikes involve hand over hand scrambling up hill sides. I won't even consider a public land spot unless it requires a hill climb. Hills = less people and pressure.

Offline bear hunter

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 07:26:29 PM »
Bear season keeps me in pretty good shape after it ends I play on a rec league basketball team even though I am too old I still enjoy it.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »
Been hitting it hard lately. Morning and evening. Plan to start running once the snow melts.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 11:13:25 AM »
I usually run about 15 miles through the week and do a 6 to 10 mile ruck with about 65 lbs in my Alice pack on Saturdays.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline JMBknvc

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 11:18:53 AM »
Need to get started back walking again, and in the past walk about 2.5-5 miles with a 18 pound weighted vest. However, going out to start winter scouting in the mountains is something I need to start doing for the spring season and learn some new areas.