OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pattern Testing advice  (Read 2961 times)

YukonC

Pattern Testing advice
« on: January 12, 2021, 11:07:36 PM »
Alright gobblestoppers, I want to do a full out pattern/ammo test with my 835. I want advice on really if I should be doing a bore snake between each round or if there is something else I should be doing to ensure I have a solid test.

Ranges: 20, 40, 60

Testing 3 1/2” Long Beard 6s, Long Beard 5s, Long Beard 4s, Federal TSS 9s, and Apex 9s.

Of course I will report results here as well.

Thanks for anything you can offer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Pattern Testing advice
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 12:09:20 AM »
Well first I would just deep clean it.
Bore snake between shots is not a bad idea. Either is scrubbing some followed by denatured alcohol.
Your gun will show what it likes from testing with cleaning.                               Clean the choke too.
I would pattern at 40 yards mostly. If all loads meet your criteria at 40, then go close in to see if not to tight for you and also point of impact so close shots won't be missed.

Something else that I would  consider is already having enough ammo on hand.
Everything is being bought up as fast as it goes on the shelf.  I mean everything .
I was in BPS today and you can't get shotgun shells. They even removed the racks it was on as they have been out of most for weeks.
Not a 12 gauge longbeard left. No hevishot, No lead turkey loads, pheasant loads , quail loads , nothing.
They did have Federal TSS and plenty of it. Probably because it is so high priced and just got it in.
They did have some 28 and 16 trap -quail but not much.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 07:37:48 AM »
Well first I would just deep clean it.
Bore snake between shots is not a bad idea. Either is scrubbing some followed by denatured alcohol.
Your gun will show what it likes from testing with cleaning.                               Clean the choke too.
I would pattern at 40 yards mostly. If all loads meet your criteria at 40, then go close in to see if not to tight for you and also point of impact so close shots won't be missed.

Something else that I would  consider is already having enough ammo on hand.
Everything is being bought up as fast as it goes on the shelf.  I mean everything .
I was in BPS today and you can't get shotgun shells. They even removed the racks it was on as they have been out of most for weeks.
Not a 12 gauge longbeard left. No hevishot, No lead turkey loads, pheasant loads , quail loads , nothing.
They did have Federal TSS and plenty of it. Probably because it is so high priced and just got it in.
They did have some 28 and 16 trap -quail but not much.

X2 on all the above. I always run the bore snake through after each shot. When I hunt, the bore is totally clean, thus pattern testing with the clean barrel assures the patterns achieved on the range will be the same in the field. Good luck, be safe...
“Solo hunter”

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 09:06:30 AM »
X3

I hunt with a clean bore so I pattern test with a clean bore. My gun patterns better when squeaky clean vs just bore snaked between shots.

Owner and admin of this site will not appreciate your 60 yd tests, so you might want to keep those to yourself.

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »
First thing first, have you checked POA/POI on your 835?  My 835 was 4 inches low and to the right so I put a Red dot on her before I even fired the first turkey round through it.  I used dove loads at 12 yards to see what I had.  Not sure what choke you are using but most 835's like .670 to .676 with lead and Hevi's.  TSS will like a little more open choke, from what I've heard, from people that shoot it.  Mine patterns Hevi 7's EXTREMELY well with a .670 Pure Gold.  Polishing the barrel will also improve your patterns as well.

Offline KentuckyLB

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 03:39:53 PM »
X3

I hunt with a clean bore so I pattern test with a clean bore. My gun patterns better when squeaky clean vs just bore snaked between shots.

Owner and admin of this site will not appreciate your 60 yd tests, so you might want to keep those to yourself.

The man said he was just shooting 60 yards never said nothing about killing turkeys... slow your roll there keyboard king.

YukonC

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 05:22:19 PM »
X3

The man said he was just shooting 60 yards never said nothing about killing turkeys... slow your roll there keyboard king.
Exactly thank you. I just want to know what happens last 40.... people are so damn judgmental and assume the worst of people. Anyways. Thanks.

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 05:39:40 PM »
I have a 535, but went through most of this 2 years ago with all 3" shells and a Carlson's ported .660.

Apex 9's were the best and most consistent.  Federal 9's were good, just not "as" good, nor as consistent.  3" Longbeard 6's are fantastic out of my gun and the .660 for a non-TSS load.  I don't use this as my primary gun anymore because it kicks like a mule and I've moved on to a 20ga, but if it were still my primary, I'd be shooting the Longbeard 6's.   I shoot Apex 9's out of my 20's now, but really didn't see the need for it (or price) to be shooting it in my 12ga.  I didn't try 4's, but Longbeard 5's left a lot to be desired out of my gun.  I have not noticed any change in performance in clean vs dirty barrel.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 10:44:24 AM »

No, BandedSpur is quite correct. Any how, i boresnake between every shot to try and keep things consistent when comparing chokes and loads. I have some guns that pattern best after a few fouling shots with a quick boresnake, and one that patterns best with a mirror clean dry bore. Just takes some time and experimentation to find a combination that suits your hunting requirements. Use  a large target, like 3x3 or bigger to be able to see the whole pattern. Temperatures will also effect pattern density and quality. It is fun and enjoyable way to spend an afternoon for sure. Good luck and i hope you can hit on a combo that you like.

Online crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 07:53:37 PM »
There are also coyotes to shoot during turkey season.

personally if I ever see a Bigfoot riding a black panther at 60 yards I would want to know how much drop is in my 40 yard pattern. (and I do)

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 08:01:44 PM »
X3

Hey KentuckyLB, perhaps you should read rules before commenting AND calling names & being hateful. BandedSpur was just trying to help the new member not start off here gettin in trouble with administration & owner.And remember these are RULES WROTE AND ENFORCED BY OG OWNER & ADMINISTRATION. So keep that in mind before coming at me hateful.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 08:49:23 PM »
X3

Exactly thank you. I just want to know what happens last 40.... people are so damn judgmental and assume the worst of people. Anyways. Thanks.

Its one of OGs rules about the no talk of over 40 yd. shots.
Another tip on pattern testing is be sure and shoot at a large enough target. You can get red rosin paper @ Menards that you can cut into 35" targets, which may sound silly but rest assured it's worth it.

Offline jrmcclure

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 09:27:21 PM »
X3

Hey KentuckyLB, perhaps you should read rules before commenting AND calling names & being hateful. BandedSpur was just trying to help the new member not start off here gettin in trouble with administration & owner.And remember these are RULES WROTE AND ENFORCED BY OG OWNER & ADMINISTRATION. So keep that in mind before coming at me hateful.

Would it not make sense to just send a private message to the original poster that says "hey man check the rules  pertaining to 40+ info so the admin don't get after you" ?

Instead of calling anyone out on an open forum or criticizing others for doing so. In all caps you got "rules wrote and enforced by og owner and administration". Why not let them do the enforcing if it is such a big deal. I'm sure the op wasn't aware. Even if he was he is cleanly talking about pattern testing in January on paper, not shooting turkeys at 60 yards flying in a crosswind with the sun in his eyes.

As for patterning I would shoot a clean barrel, 40 yards, and at a large piece of paper. Then adjust from there. After narrowing down loads from your 40 yard findings I would definitely take a close shot 10-15. Inside 15 yards is definitely the most likely place you will miss a bird. Another round past 40 to check poi or to see where the pattern starts to fall apart is not a terrible idea. There is no shame in knowing what you gun is capable of or more importantly what it is not.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 09:36:16 PM »
X3

Would it not make sense to just send a private message to the original poster that says "hey man check the rules  pertaining to 40+ info so the admin don't get after you" ?

Instead of calling anyone out on an open forum or criticizing others for doing so. In all caps you got "rules wrote and enforced by og owner and administration". Why not let them do the enforcing if it is such a big deal. I'm sure the op wasn't aware. Even if he was he is cleanly talking about pattern testing in January on paper, not shooting turkeys at 60 yards flying in a crosswind with the sun in his eyes.

As for patterning I would shoot a clean barrel, 40 yards, and at a large piece of paper. Then adjust from there. After narrowing down loads from your 40 yard findings I would definitely take a close shot 10-15. Inside 15 yards is definitely the most likely place you will miss a bird. Another round past 40 to check poi or to see where the pattern starts to fall apart is not a terrible idea. There is no shame in knowing what you gun is capable of or more importantly what it is not.
You mean like coming after someone for trying to give advise to someone that might do something that can and does get folks kicked off the forum, and then calling that person a hateful name? No, I'm pretty sure what I did was ok. Not to mention YOU are still trying to act like its ok to talk/post about ANY shots over 40 yds. Did you read that part? This is how I see it. The rules are there for whatever reason the owner of this site says there are. And he WILL enforce them. So if you think there's an argument to be made about it, hows about you contact him.

YukonC

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 09:39:57 PM »
This is childish folks.... I am not new here either. I am a turkey, coyote, and geese hunter. Just because I am shooting at 60 doesn’t mean I am shooting at turkeys beyond the 40yrd restriction. Everyone slow down.