OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Any Black Powder Action?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline TScottW99

• Scouting for wildlife
Re: Any Black Powder Action?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2023, 08:48:26 PM »
I use a modified Skychief load in my CVA 12 gauge NWTF Trapper and Pedersoli 10 gauge Waterfowl. I’m using FFFg in the 12 and FFg in the 10.

The biggest thing I’ve found with mine is using overshot cards as an over powder wad in both. I use multiples to help cushion the shot. The nitro and fiber cards blew my patterns.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Offline Chrizz

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Any Black Powder Action?
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2023, 06:25:38 PM »
Im a little late to respond to this post but I just joined this forum. I have been shooting flintlock fowlers for years and have some experience with the trial and error of testing loads. As I was taught, you shoot what your barrel likes. That being said, it takes a while to figure out what your barrel likes. The Skychief load is pretty good but very finicky. It works best with cylinder bores. It is also critical to use the overshot cushion wad that has been heavily soaked in oil. Its not an easy load to use in the field turkey hunting.
A very simple turkey load to use in the field with choked turkey barrels is using:
80-90 grains 2F
3 card wads slightly moistened with spit. Load each card wad past the muzzle then push all 3 down over powder.
1 1/2 oz  50:50 mix of #5 and #6 lead shot
Then split a card wad in 1/2 and push down as over the shot wad.

Thats it. Easy to load in the field especially if forced to reload quickly.
I have taken more turkeys than I can remember with this load.