OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mouth Calls  (Read 6868 times)

Offline The Lung

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Mouth Calls
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 02:06:08 PM »
I had never liked mouth calls before, but I tried the starter pack from Hooks. I can't say enough good about them. Called in and shot my first fall season turkey this morning with a series of kee kees and yelps.  I will be using Hooks fmouth calls from now on.
"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 06:39:07 PM »
I use a primos true double and a Preston Pittman black Diamond mostly. Fooled alot of birds with those two.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 08:38:06 PM »
I mix it up. Quaker Boy Raspy Old Hen, old Boss Hen, Penn Woods Triple, Wood haven small frames and several Primos. Be safe, good luck....
“Solo hunter”

Offline HILBY72

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 06:34:44 AM »
Before I started making my own I used Houndstooth, mainly the Tom Bomb and V Cut. They make very consistent calls.

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 06:55:43 AM »
Tom teasers and pecker Wrecker

Offline fmf

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 07:20:59 AM »
Sadler mcgraw ghost cuts, especially the judge and jury
Swamp boys phantom is another thats always with me. Has a very raspy back end for a ghost cut.
Cane creek Mr Death v cut

Offline ElkTurkMan

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 05:58:32 PM »
Hooks Heart throb

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 09:58:29 AM »
I make my own, but if I didn't I would be buying from Sam at Gooserbat for sure.  He contributes a lot to the folks on this site. 

Now, for those new to mouth calls:   Finding the right call is more about what works for the individual more than who makes the call.  No matter who makes them, some will be good for a specific individual,...and some will not.  You just have to sort through them to find out.

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 10:10:48 AM »
I know a guy

And that guy makes some darn good calls

I have used woodhaven for years, but bought a grab bag off gooserbat last year and I will be buying more. One of the few that I have found to be good right out of the package without an hr of tuning
I bought a grab bag myself and all were great calls. Love the bat wing and use it the most.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 10:33:55 AM »
I make my own, but if I didn't I would be buying from Sam at Gooserbat for sure.  He contributes a lot to the folks on this site. 

Now, for those new to mouth calls:   Finding the right call is more about what works for the individual more than who makes the call.  No matter who makes them, some will be good for a specific individual,...and some will not.  You just have to sort through them to find out.

First thanks for the words of encouragement.  Second your 2nd paragraph is spot on.  I have a very good customer in Florida who only does good with a bat wing, a guy here in oklahoma who does good with a gulvis style or a boss hen cut and myself I like a ghost cut. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Online JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2021, 02:10:04 PM »
Was also able to snag 1 of Sam's "Grab bag" specials, this will be 2nd year using them and when they need replacing, back to Sam, was a great promotion for Gooserbat mouth calls. Very easy to run, dont even know what most of the cuts are, I will just have Sam send me what he recommends. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline cgarner1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2021, 07:49:35 PM »
I like about anything with a ghost cut. Woodhaven ninja, both of Dave Owens, and American strutter are my personal favorites

Offline square

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2021, 07:38:15 PM »
Legacy

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2021, 12:14:15 AM »
Like to use the Persuader by Hooks and will try the Heartthrob this year. I also have a couple from Gooserbat that will go on my first hunt..

Offline Chris Downs

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 02:17:39 AM »
Sadler McGraw, Dave Owens, and Houndstooth