OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thoughts on the NewGuy at Camp  (Read 5466 times)

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
Re: Thoughts on the NewGuy at Camp
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 02:08:30 PM »
I’ll send you the GPS coordinates  ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 04:36:11 PM »
If you are actually looking for an honest opinion, my personal advice would be to start searching now for some bigger areas to hunt.  Surely there have got to be some public lands close enough so that all concerned can actually expand their hunting horizons beyond staking out a spot on 200 acres.  In my opinion, a person's ability to learn to turkey hunt,...and really enjoy it,...cannot be accomplished under your restricted circumstances. 

..Just my half-a-cent's worth on the matter,...no contention intended...   :newmascot:
200 acres restricted? Wow, well maybe it there are more that 10 people hunting it.

In reality 200 acres aint nothing for a turkey hunter. If thats all you have , make it work but one turkey hunter can realisticly cover that in no time. I share 1250 acres with another guy and its tough sometimes. Depends where the birds are at the time.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 07:07:23 AM »
If you are actually looking for an honest opinion, my personal advice would be to start searching now for some bigger areas to hunt.  Surely there have got to be some public lands close enough so that all concerned can actually expand their hunting horizons beyond staking out a spot on 200 acres.  In my opinion, a person's ability to learn to turkey hunt,...and really enjoy it,...cannot be accomplished under your restricted circumstances. 

..Just my half-a-cent's worth on the matter,...no contention intended...   :newmascot:
200 acres restricted? Wow, well maybe it there are more that 10 people hunting it.

In reality 200 acres aint nothing for a turkey hunter. If thats all you have , make it work but one turkey hunter can realisticly cover that in no time. I share 1250 acres with another guy and its tough sometimes. Depends where the birds are at the time.
Guess if my legs, hips and back were better this would make much more sense to me, I know I used to cover a lot more area then than I do now. Still do try though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 12:11:38 AM »
Find some national forest or something, 200 acres can be boom or bust, that ain’t crap for turkey hunting and isn’t a really good way to learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 05:27:06 PM »
Sounds like you're talking about deer hunting turkeys. With multiple hunters and only 200 acres not much else you can do safely. If I had been limited to just sitting in one spot hoping to call in a turkey I highly doubt I would be as addicted as I am today.

If you are limited to only those 200 acres I would prefer hunting as group.  If there are three of you someone gets to carry a camera. He'll learn much more tagging along (how to make a move on a gobbler, how to call based on what the turkey is doing, how to locate the bird) than he will sitting on his own calling at random.

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 10:45:39 PM »
The farms I have to hunt are under 200 acres, but two of them back up to bigger private un-hunted land.  Trouble is in the past few years there's been a LOT more people hunting the land that surrounds it.  In hunting small lands, you'd better know where those turkeys like to and are willing to travel.  It is frustrating to have the birds go off the property where you can't pursue.

I like the idea of taking the new hunter as the shooter where you can call for them and tell them when to move and not to move.  Even though the hardest lessons learned are the easiest one to remember, new hunters are less likely to blow their chance if they have an experienced mentor coaching. No sense educating or spooking a bird unnecessarily, especially on small pieces of ground. 

I'm a visual learner, so once I see something done, I can probably do it myself.  Yet I have to read about how to do something over & over & over before I get it and I might not get it right then.  I made probably every mistake a turkey hunter can make, so if I can help someone else shorten their learning curve, I'm happy to help.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.