OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The 16

Started by Southernson13, January 10, 2021, 02:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southernson13

So I'm getting interested in the diy TSS game. I love the idea of a youth or compact 20 for a turkey gun. I have since had the thought that I really would like a 16 gauge compact. Through my research this far I haven't found anything in the 16 that is also a youth. For the most part I don't find anything that is 16 that isn't made pretty much with the competition/Upland shooter soley in mind. If franchi made the affinity 3 compact in a 16 I would buy it in a heartbeat. Does anyone know of something that might peak my interest?

Tom007

The new Auto-5 sweet-16 is what I went with. Very smooth, light weight, way less recoil than 12's. You are correct in the fact that there is no real factory option 16 for turkey. I converted mine by adding a Briley .600 choke, put camo on the stock, added Red Dot optic. It does real good with Apex TSS, 1 5/8 oz load of 7.5's. The only negative is the gun is not cheap. The light weight  makes it a great gun for a youngster, and also great for running and gunning in the mountainous big woods. Best of luck....
"Solo hunter"

Dr Juice

Quote from: Tom007 on January 10, 2021, 07:48:53 AM
The new Auto-5 sweet-16 is what I went with. Very smooth, light weight, way less recoil than 12's. You are correct in the fact that there is no real factory option 16 for turkey. I converted mine by adding a Briley .660 choke, put camo on the stock, added Red Dot optic. It does real good with Apex TSS, 1 5/8 oz load of 7.5's. The only negative is the gun is not cheap. The light weight  makes it a great gun for a youngster, and also great for running and gunning in the mountainous big woods. Best of luck....
Awesome rig. I love Browning A5s. Good luck with it.

Tom007

Quote from: Dr Juice on January 10, 2021, 09:40:21 AM
The new Auto-5 sweet-16 is what I went with. Very smooth, light weight, way less recoil than 12's. You are correct in the fact that there is no real factory option 16 for turkey. I converted mine by adding a Briley .660 choke, put camo on the stock, added Red Dot optic. It does real good with Apex TSS, 1 5/8 oz load of 7.5's. The only negative is the gun is not cheap. The light weight  makes it a great gun for a youngster, and also great for running and gunning in the mountainous big woods. Best of luck....
Awesome rig. I love Browning A5s. Good luck with it.

Thanks my friend. Hope to get a waddle in the red dot....be safe
"Solo hunter"

Tnwoodsman

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

justin_wv

I will be hunting with an ol' Stevens model 94B single shot in a 16ga this year. It has a fixed full choke and I am sure it will do the trick with some Apex Turkey #9s. I rarely shoot 40+ yards and this gun will be a very light and balanced carry. I also have the Stevens301 turkey in a .410 that I am hoping to use on a longbeard.

Jmbradt3873

Isn't .660 close to improved cylinder in a 16 gauge or am I misremembering again?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: Jmbradt3873 on January 10, 2021, 02:50:34 PM
Isn't .660 close to improved cylinder in a 16 gauge or am I misremembering again?

Thanks for catching that. It is a .600, I was thinking of my 12 gauge that has .660. Wow, a .660 in a 16 would not work out to good. Thanks, I will change it....
"Solo hunter"

Jmbradt3873

Lol. I saw that and was thinking man I can use that fixed modified 12 gauge pump of my dad's that is collecting dust in the corner.

Tom007

Quote from: justin_wv on January 10, 2021, 02:44:12 PM
I will be hunting with an ol' Stevens model 94B single shot in a 16ga this year. It has a fixed full choke and I am sure it will do the trick with some Apex Turkey #9s. I rarely shoot 40+ yards and this gun will be a very light and balanced carry. I also have the Stevens301 turkey in a .410 that I am hoping to use on a longbeard.

Best of luck, that will do the job for sure......
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: Jmbradt3873 on January 10, 2021, 02:56:44 PM
Lol. I saw that and was thinking man I can use that fixed modified 12 gauge pump of my dad's that is collecting dust in the corner.

You probably could drop one with that baby too. It would be nostalgic......
"Solo hunter"

Jmbradt3873

True but worried about splitting the barrel with tss, works good with lead though

Tom007

Quote from: Jmbradt3873 on January 10, 2021, 06:07:07 PM
True but worried about splitting the barrel with tss, works good with lead though

Amen my friend
"Solo hunter"

skimerhorn

Be like finding a needle in a haystack but they did make a 870 16ga compact. From what I heard only 1400 were made. Be almost impossible to find