OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Going cheap this year on shells  (Read 10212 times)

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Going cheap this year on shells
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 10:48:09 PM »
turkeytider, I hope you don't think I was advocating taking 50-60 yard shots. I wasn't in any way. I kill my birds at 25-30 and occasionally I am off 5-10 yards, but still within 40 if I wait until I judge he's 25-30. I don't like closer because the pattern gets awful tight, but if it's not clean I'll wait until he's closer.

Let's not derail the thread into a distance debate....it's about shells. The cheaper shells will do the job if you know your pattern and distance

No, no, not at all my friend! Sorry if I left the impression that I did. Mine are usually in that same range (20-30 ). I agree, LOTS of shells can work out to 40, just need to make sure they`re patterned first. Longbeards are excellent lead loads IMO. Wouldn`t hesitate to use them even though Hevi-13 6`s are my favs.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 06:16:31 AM »
I have been using Winchester Double X HV Turkey Loads since Federal change to the "Flite Control" wads (screwed up the patterns I would get from my gun/choke) I hunt up close and kill in the 15-17yard range and have a scope on my gun for accuracy. What I have also seen (I work for Outdoor Retailer) is a lot of hunters using Federal Prairie Storm pheasant loads, for the price of these at a box of 25!

MK M GOBL

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 09:22:43 AM »
I have run a lot of different shells through my mossberg 835. Using a star dot choke the federal 3.5" #6s shot the best for me as far as plain Jane lead leads went. However I have found that the 2oz. 3.5" longbeard #5's  give me a volleyball sized pattern at 20 yards and still a certain kill pattern at 40. It drops off pretty fast after 40 though. With my gun the tighter chokes seem to open the longbeard pattern up more at closer ranges than the more open chokes. My theory is that the tighter chokes fracture the resin more completely and open it up more. However that is just my theory and probably wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 12:05:59 PM »
Word of advice , never wait until you need shells to try and find or purchase them, if you see then duing the year, you better purchase those shells NOW.. No one KNOWS what the future holds with buying ammo. just look around now at trying to find center fire ammo.. Just some friendly Advice.. I wouldn't look at shooting up all my old ammo , before thinking i will buy new ammo LATER... just my opinion..

Offline jrmcclure

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 01:26:06 PM »
Word of advice , never wait until you need shells to try and find or purchase them, if you see then duing the year, you better purchase those shells NOW.. No one KNOWS what the future holds with buying ammo. just look around now at trying to find center fire ammo.. Just some friendly Advice.. I wouldn't look at shooting up all my old ammo , before thinking i will buy new ammo LATER... just my opinion..

It's an election year and due to covid the demand for ammo is a perfect storm. I'm all for buying ammo If needed, but I think people buying up every round they come to regardless of price fuels the fire. Shotgun shells are still on the shelves in my area, but like most I haven't seen a center fire round on a big box stores shelf in a while. The local Walmart had two 10 round boxes of 338 lapua that were $80 apiece before the shortage hit. They sat there for about a year and I laughed everytime I seen them thinking they would never sell. I was wrong.

Ammo prices will come back down. May take a year, but shooting old stock for a season or two doesn't seem like a terrible idea to me.  Turkey and deer hunting combined I shoot less than 10 shells a year. I see no reason to panic buy 100 rounds at price gouging prices.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 01:37:55 PM »

It's an election year and due to covid the demand for ammo is a perfect storm. I'm all for buying ammo If needed, but I think people buying up every round they come to regardless of price fuels the fire. Shotgun shells are still on the shelves in my area, but like most I haven't seen a center fire round on a big box stores shelf in a while. The local Walmart had two 10 round boxes of 338 lapua that were $80 apiece before the shortage hit. They sat there for about a year and I laughed everytime I seen them thinking they would never sell. I was wrong.

Ammo prices will come back down. May take a year, but shooting old stock for a season or two doesn't seem like a terrible idea to me.  Turkey and deer hunting combined I shoot less than 10 shells a year. I see no reason to panic buy 100 rounds at price gouging prices.
  Like i said most all of us turkey hunters shop year round for our turkey needs , i have plenty of ammo myself because i shop year round and I'm not panicking myself, because during the off season you can get some pretty good deals on ammo.. again it's all about opinions ..

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 02:51:19 PM »

Good post, this ammo situation is way beyond the normal election year scare.

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 09:49:44 PM »
When I first got my 835 years ago. I tried many a choke. Stayed with the Ulti-full choke and Federal 3 inch#4. The older ones worked great. Shot flight control wads well also. This past year I went choke and load chasing again. Settled on LB #5. Well I found a deal on Strut Shok which always shot well and i`m back to stock choke and Federal #4. The new load Federal has out just will not cut it. Im back to old school. It will kill cleanly 40 plus. I like to call them in close though. Good luck!

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 11:33:51 AM »
I have accumulated a lot of turkey ammo over the years from pattern and choke testing. I probably could never buy another box and not run out lol! I have no qualms about shooting regular old lead turkey loads. Once i finish off my stock of magblends and htl, i'm switching back to lead. I'm not a long range shooter, and my choke/ammo/gun combinations pattern well at 40 yards and a little cushion with lead turkey loads.And i can spend the money on gas and scouting. I enjoy the challenge and  thrill of getting a gobbler up close, and for me, i just don't feel a sense of accomplishment popping one half a football field or further away. Not judging what others want to shoot, just for me i like inside 30, preferably 20ish. I love turkey hunting and hunting in general, and hope folks don't forget it is a sport, and that it is truly one in which it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it is how you play the game. But i still want to win lol!

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 07:29:45 PM »
There has been a big pile of gobblers taken way before TSS came to light. I agree that you can save money and may even get that gobbler in closer for a shot if you know you got other shells in that gun. I shoot 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge copper plated #5 or #6. Never feel under gunned so why spend more?

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 10:35:14 PM »
There has been a big pile of gobblers taken way before TSS came to light. I agree that you can save money and may even get that gobbler in closer for a shot if you know you got other shells in that gun. I shoot 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge copper plated #5 or #6. Never feel under gunned so why spend more?

If you can get him in close enough and the pattern is good , you can kill him just as dead with a dove load.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2021, 10:23:12 AM »
For my 835 the Win. HV 3.5 5's are the ticket, patterned much better than the 6's.  I have a star dot in mine.  Only reason I was shooting 3.5" was I found 10+ boxes at wally world a few years back for $10 a box on clearance, bought them all!

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2021, 12:44:27 PM »
For my 835 the Win. HV 3.5 5's are the ticket, patterned much better than the 6's.  I have a star dot in mine.  Only reason I was shooting 3.5" was I found 10+ boxes at wally world a few years back for $10 a box on clearance, bought them all!

LOL!! Understand the deal on the shells, but 3.5s out of a pump? A tip of the cap, my friend ! You`re either a better man than I am, a masochist, or maybe both!

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2021, 02:46:45 PM »
I shoot 3.5's out of my Remington Model 870 Super Mag. Not that bad, just hold on tight.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2021, 03:32:14 PM »
If you have not bought your shell for this year you may be out of luck. None available in my area.