OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trough Calls  (Read 3110 times)

Offline GML6587

Trough Calls
« on: January 07, 2021, 10:02:23 PM »
Hello everyone,

I’m a new member to the forum but have been enjoying reading posts for a while. I’ve been trying my hand at making box calls and scratch box calls for a couple years now with decent success and would now like to try trough calls. I’m pretty sure I have a good handle on the build but am unsure on how best to attach the slate. Is the slate only glued on each end of the trough or should there be a small lip around the edge of the trough to glue the slate to? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Trough Calls
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 04:00:38 PM »
Sounds dumb I guess but like anything in call making it's a guarded secret. Trial and error is the best way to learn.

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 12:03:17 AM »
 i  dont make them but  looks like the secrets out lol   maybe this will help u out

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=43685.0
and another
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=59316.0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 12:19:35 AM by M,Yingling »
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline GML6587

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 10:09:37 AM »
I thought the intricacies on how the slate is "attached" to the call may be a closely guarded secret but I thought I'd throw the question out there anyway to see if I would get a bite. Haha!

Thank you for the links M, Yingling. They are exactly what I was looking for. Now I gotta see if I can make this chunk of wood talk turkey!

Offline Jmloch

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 04:34:41 PM »
The first ones I made I had a small thin piece of wood under my aluminum striking surface. Since I have made them with only a small 1/8” lip. the experimenting I’ve done this year with them has me thinking that you really don’t need the frame or trough and just the surface. I made them with ceramic this year. Way different sound with and without the trough. I did settle on a very small one with a trough ceramic surface. I couldn’t get the tone (rollover) I wanted so I glued only one side and settle for rasp. I’ll post some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GML6587

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 09:19:50 AM »
I'm having similar struggles myself. I've tried aluminum but I think my stock is too thick. It is approx. 1/8 inch think and just doesn't quite have the right tone. I used some slate that I bought for trough calls but to me it sounds more like a duck than anything else. I'm determined to get one of these to talk turkey so I am going to keep trying!

Offline Jmloch

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 11:41:34 AM »
I forgot to post the pics, my aluminum is 1/8” as well, it doesn’t sound great but the turkeys responded well to it.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 12:10:09 PM »
I've noticed that some are making that call bigger in size and sounding alot more realistic in sound
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Jmloch

Trough Calls
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 08:00:13 PM »
Mine is about 4” x 2”

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:48:57 PM by Jmloch »