OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thoughts???  (Read 626 times)

Offline CG1997

Thoughts???
« on: March 18, 2023, 06:58:11 PM »
Have I finally found my choke and ammo combo? 20ga Beretta a300 Ultima. Jebs headhunter 555, Apex #9. I don't run any optics. 20 yds and 40yds. 230 in 10" at 40. All but about 15 in a 10" at 20 and still a little wiggle room for mistakes lol what're your thoughts?

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
Re: Thoughts???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 08:01:52 PM »
          Dead longbeard, that works

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 09:31:14 PM »
I can remember when we just hoped to clear 100 in the ten at forty yards with number four lead. 230 of the harder hitting TSS will stone every turkey that you shoot. I know that folks want big numbers since the shells cost so much, but if I counted right, you have right at 24 hits in the vitals at what is going to be pretty close to your maximum range. You are good to go. To save you ten dollars, 9 out of ten times that 230 at forty will work out to right at 150 give or take in the ten at fifty yards if you were wondering (65 percent of your forty ten count).

If you get a chance somewhere down the road pick to up either a .562 or a .570 in the IC at a good deal from someone, give them a shot (they should run in the 290-315 range give or take depending on which you go with), and maybe also try the Patternmaster Anaconda black striker .570 which has ran in the 280's in the five different twenty gauges I have tested (and each gun had a different black striker - I was not changing the same choke out from gun to gun - so they are consistent).

But honestly, I would just go to the woods and hunt this spring and not change a thing right now. Just maybe pick one of those chokes up later on when you can get a deal on one that is slightly used just to see what it will do. Good luck this spring!
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline CG1997

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 11:24:31 PM »
I've got a 565 Carlson I should have brought to test as well. Stuff is expensive makes it tough to pattern too much lol