OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best way to remove dust from feathers?  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Best way to remove dust from feathers?
« on: December 19, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
So my fan from my first turkey has been sitting in 20 Mule Borax since May 2019, I just started to move stuff from it and get ready to get it mounted the way I am going to do it but when I removed a book from it that was helping to keep feathers flat I realized just how much dust was on it. Can anybody suggest a way to clean the dust off? Picture to follow, did not know how to start a thread from my cell where the pictures are so started it on the computer and will edit the pictures in shortly. Thank you for any help given.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline KYHeadhunter02

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Best way to remove dust from feathers?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 12:57:34 PM »
My taxidermist recommends using wd40 or furniture polish to clean mounts. I usually take them out on a breezy day and let the wind blow a lot of the dust off. You might try using an air compressor and nozzle to blow all the dust out. After that I use a soft make up brush to dust and then finish with wd40. It puts oil back in the feathers and really brings the colors back out.

I'm not a professional by any means.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 12:59:14 PM »
My taxidermist recommends using wd40 or furniture polish to clean mounts. I usually take them out on a breezy day and let the wind blow a lot of the dust off. You might try using an air compressor and nozzle to blow all the dust out. After that I use a soft make up brush to dust and then finish with wd40. It puts oil back in the feathers and really brings the colors back out.

Thank you much, I may put it out on the porch if I do it that way, to many critters around here and if I left it in the yard it would disappear on me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline KYHeadhunter02

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 01:11:18 PM »

Thank you much, I may put it out on the porch if I do it that way, to many critters around here and if I left it in the yard it would disappear on me.
Yeah I would make sure to put it up high and put something on it to keep it from blowing away.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 01:31:58 PM »

Yeah I would make sure to put it up high and put something on it to keep it from blowing away.

Sorry, was cleaning off the table it was on, have to make the chocolate rum balls, anise cookies and Cuccidati's and on it.

John Koenig:

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 03:15:14 PM »
Try a swiffer duster

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 03:50:47 PM »
Try a swiffer duster

I had thought of that but am not sure if I threw mine out or not. I could never get the replacements on the stupid handle. Thanks for the idea.

John Koenig:

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 05:31:08 PM »
Try a swiffer duster

I had thought of that but am not sure if I threw mine out or not. I could never get the replacements on the stupid handle. Thanks for the idea.
Thats what I use on all my mounts

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 08:23:40 PM »
Same here they work well

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »
Try a swiffer duster

Thats what I use on all my mounts

Same here they work well

Thanks guys.

John Koenig:

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 07:09:20 PM »
If you use WD40 put it on a paper towel and wipe it lightly.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 08:27:21 PM »
Try a swiffer duster

This is what I use on all mounts.
Thank you, I have one somewhere and I am trying to find it. If not they are cheap enough.

If you use WD40 put it on a paper towel and wipe it lightly.

Thank you for the advise.

John Koenig: