OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Buy your ammo!!!

Started by POk3s, December 29, 2020, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POk3s

Howdy fellow turkey nuts. Middle of winter here in Wyoming and looking like tonight will be in the negatives temps! Thoughts already turning to warm spring days. Alright, enough with all that, while others are up in arms over not having any deer hunting rounds, it's time to stay one step ahead and purchase your turkey ammo! I know a lot of you reload, but a lot of folks reload rifle rounds too and can't buy the bullets, primer, or power! I just purchased 2 boxes (of 5) of hevi shot for $33/ piece. Yep, with tax that ends up being over $7 per round. Flat out insanity but at least I have rounds. Hope you guys were more stocked up than me. Happy hunting!

rakkin6

I have 24 boxes of 3" Longbeards XR 1 7/8 OZ #5. I have 4 boxes of magnum blend for back-up. Whenever I run across ammo that I use on sale I pick it up

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Greg Massey

As a turkey hunter , never wait to buy your turkey ammo.. shop all year long for your turkey needs ...

rakkin6

I usually buy my turkey needs in deer  season and deer gear during turkey season.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Gooserbat

I have enough to load around 250-300 tss handloads... You're right, I should stock up.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TonyTurk

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 29, 2020, 06:00:09 PM
As a turkey hunter , never wait to buy your turkey ammo.. shop all year long for your turkey needs ...
Yes sir, this is sound advice.  Keep your eyes peeled for deals all year round.  I have found the post-season sales in May-June often yield super bargains on all things turkey, including ammo.

Jrkimbrough

Agreed!  I always take advantage of free shipping options right after Christmas to add a few more boxes of TSS to my stash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gmed

Bass Pro in Bristol, TN had both 12 and 20 gauge Federal TSS in stock today. 20 ga was $ 29.99 I think and 12 was $37.99????? I didn't look that close since I have 12 boxes stashed...

rakkin6

Can the Federal TSS be shot out of ported chokes now? I remember it used to not be able.to because of the flight wod.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Dtrkyman

10/4 on that.

I have 20 or so loaded up and 5lbs of shot and all the components needed so I am good to go!

bbcoach

The best time I've found to buy ammo, as others have said, is buy it when you find a DEAL.  Also when you find ammo that your gun and choke Loves, buy enough of specific lot numbers that will last Many years.  My 835 loves Hevi-13 7's and I've got enough to last my lifetime. 

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 29, 2020, 06:00:09 PM
This quote is truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

budtripp

I don't pattern just for s***s and grins anymore, I tend to just stick with what works. I have more than enough to last my lifetime. Hell, a ten round box might last me 3 or 4 years with a 2 bird limit. Rifle ammo, yeah I stock up on components whenever I find them. But I don't rattle my fillings and bruise my shoulders for fun lol.

POk3s

I understand what you guys are saying, and I honestly probably had enough to get me through the season but I guess that's not the point. Better to know I have more than I should need! I should've known you real turkey freaks would have plenty, but hopefully I saved someone from not having any ammo come turkey time!

Matt76cmich

Turkey shells are about the only thing you can get around here right now.  With what I have now me and my kids should be good for quite awhile with more on the way lol.