OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trying anything new this spring?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
Trying anything new this spring?
« on: December 26, 2020, 07:07:12 PM »
Back in June I sent EZ the wingbone's off my NH gobbler to have made into this awesome set of wingbone calls. The one on the left he made with all three bones off the gobbler, and the other has a snow goose mouth piece.
I've been practicing nearly every day with them since Thanksgiving, and am definitely making some good headway. I fully intend on having one of them be the first thing I use opening day, so I am going to keep up on the daily practice.

Anyone else adding, or intend to add a new style of call to their bag of tricks this spring?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline silverspur

• Longbeard
Re: Trying anything new this spring?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 07:40:19 PM »
You certainly got two great calls from Tony. Call the softly and they will bring you some great hunts. If your state has a fall season, keep them around your neck and call softly then too. Turkeys love them wingbones of Tony’s. Congrats and good luck!????????
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 08:09:54 PM »
Tony makes the prettiest wingbones there are. I bet you’ll get one killed with one of those. As for me, I’m wanting to run some trough calls this year. Other than that just going to concentrate a lot more on the suction calls. More time goes on the more I seem to prefer a good Jordan style call to anything else. Probably carry Jordans more than trumpets this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 09:52:06 PM »
Nice looking calls, congratulations. As far as new kinds of calls I hope to add a Cow Horn call and a Jolley Scratch Tube Turkey Call. Also hope to add another call from Mr. Watkins in February. Other than that I want to get one of those Alps Chairs and see if that will help me get out of the blind and outside again.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 10:08:48 AM »
Pair of beauties, best of luck with them......I plan on sticking to my push pin Arsenal, especially the OG one. I am a very soft, non-frequent caller, they really have changed the game for me. Can’t wait to get out there opening day.....be safe
“Solo hunter”

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 11:25:30 AM »
I always purchase some new calls during the off season , i always like to change up my calls from the start of the spring season and during the season as well. I don't care to walk around and call and sound like the same birds all the time . Just recently received a awesome short box from Scott Witter, couple of pot calls from Buster , one is a purple slate  2 sider and i will also pickup couple more boxes from other call makers .. Got a new to me Marlin fiddlebox ironwood persimmon coming also from vt35mag.

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 01:12:59 PM »
The only new style of call for this year is going to be my butternut/padauk scratch box I picked up from Josh Farley this fall - really impressed with the volume in this little call. That said I picked up a couple new surfaces in pots from Buster Halford and Nathan Taylor to try out, and I'll be doing some fall hunting with a Parks Gobbler Call this year if I can get the time off work to do it!

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 07:58:50 AM »
I've upgraded my friction calls for sure and look forward to using them this Spring. I had good success with them this Fall. However, I want to take at least one gobbler with my own voice this Spring. I've been working on it a bit lately and think it will work, based on the audio I'm listening to. I've whistled(kee-kee) jakes in the Fall before, but think it would be cool to call up a mature gobbler in the Spring. For those of you who routinely use your voice to call, I'd like to hear when you began to do this, for how long and how successful you've been.

Offline SwampRooster17

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 08:27:56 AM »
Just got a model 45 from Ralph that I just can’t put down. It will see the woods a good bit this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk