OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey hunt dream Spot  (Read 5761 times)

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Turkey hunt dream Spot
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2020, 08:13:36 PM »
i agree that is a great 10 year service award, i just retired after 39 years with the same company and was never offered anything like that! Come to Ms. and hunt some easy public land birds here! My dream trip would be a true Osceola!

Offline flockbuster

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2020, 08:04:38 AM »
I was lucky enough to get to hunt Goulds in Mexico a few years ago. It would definitely be at the top of my list of where to go again if the opportunity was to ever pop up again. The scenary was beautiful, the people were friendly and accommodating and the turkeys were plentiful and vocal. It was a trip of a lifetime for me and I would highly recommend it to any turkey hunter

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2020, 04:54:10 PM »
Got a trip gift card with Cabelas worldwide trophy adventures.  Curious as to where everyone would go if money wasn’t an option to turkey hunt.  Want to get most bang for my buck.  I have been to Hawaii and I live and hunt in Va.  Killed a Rio in Hawaii and Easterns in VA. Thanks Gang!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t see any 2021 options on their site. Can they pretty much book a hunt anywhere for you?
If so, I’d go on an Osceola hunt first of March. Think of it this way, if it’s a free hunt, then you are getting a more expensive “free” trip if you go on an Osceola hunt than say an eastern.

Offline TonyTurk

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2020, 05:15:43 PM »
My dream spot is the neighbor’s land, that I don’t have permission to hunt, where the turkeys go to spend most of their day after flydown. 

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 09:19:32 PM »
New Zealand, went years ago, best bang for your buck if it is still at the same level.  I killed 23 in a week, 13 with a bow!

Also some feral goats and waterfowl!  Amazing place.

Offline dirtnap

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 09:55:46 PM »
New Zealand, went years ago, best bang for your buck if it is still at the same level.  I killed 23 in a week, 13 with a bow!

Also some feral goats and waterfowl!  Amazing place.

:z-winnersmiley:

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 10:46:17 PM »
New Zealand would be a great trip,...but not for turkey hunting.  If you are hunting turkeys in New Zealand, you might as well go visit your local turkey farm.  Had a wildlife professor go over there years ago specifically to look into the genetics of the New Zealand turkey population.  As I recall, a couple of them killed over sixty in a couple of days.  They concluded that the turkeys there were mostly of domestic stock,...and behaved as such. 

That was years ago, and perhaps things have changed a bit,...but it doesn't sound like it. 

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »
Wow what a problem to have! LOL
Already planning to go to Texas for rio's this year. I hunt TN so I have it pretty good. Not as many birds but always kill at least one monster. On someone else's nickel probably Florida for Osceola's.

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »
New Zealand is truly an awesome place. I spent 2 weeks there hiking a few years ago. I didn't hunt or fish(I regret the latter)--monster trout. However, I wouldn't fool with turkeys there. They are essentially feral turkeys. They resemble Merriams to me, but hunting NZ birds is worse than kicking up pen raised quail in my opinion. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with killing NZ turkeys and lots of them, but the fact that a person could smoke 13 in a week with a bow tells you that it ain't the same thing as hunting wild turkeys.

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 12:18:14 PM »
My dream spot is the neighbor’s land, that I don’t have permission to hunt, where the turkeys go to spend most of their day after flydown.

I can relate to that....
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »
Those New Zealand birds I hunted appeared to be Merriams not domesticated looking at all, zero hunting pressure and hundreds of birds with no predators was the difference.

I believe that was in 2005 so it may be vastly different, but it was a hell of a time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 01:39:12 AM »
This large white/native American/freed black boy is going to the Yucatan in search of the peacock turkey.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline saltysenior

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 04:24:43 PM »

27* 42' 54N
  80* 47' 48W

Offline Phattkopp

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2021, 09:40:10 AM »
Daggum!!! Pressley's?

Phattso ;)

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 03:43:24 PM »
For some reason Nebraska keeps coming to mind. I can't complain though, I live.oneile across the Kentucky Tennessee border and can kill 7 turkeys a year if I wanted to. 3 in Tennessee 2 in Kentucky and I hunt on Fort Campbell Army Base which is 2 bonus birds.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER