OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey hunt dream Spot  (Read 5762 times)

Offline BennieGobbler

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Turkey hunt dream Spot
« on: December 24, 2020, 07:47:47 AM »
Got a trip gift card with Cabelas worldwide trophy adventures.  Curious as to where everyone would go if money wasn’t an option to turkey hunt.  Want to get most bang for my buck.  I have been to Hawaii and I live and hunt in Va.  Killed a Rio in Hawaii and Easterns in VA. Thanks Gang!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Turkey hunt dream Spot
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »
Central America for the toughest bird in the world slam, the Oscellated. They now call them in, no longer shoot them in the trees. Best of luck, congrats...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 09:57:27 AM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 07:57:20 AM »
New Zealand

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 08:02:45 AM »
I hunt Kentucky and Tennessee so I have it good. But if I were to go anywhere it would be one of the Dakota's or Nebraska.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 09:47:54 AM »
I've got my Grand Slam from Florida, South Dakota, Kansas and Easterns in several states so I would want an Oscellated and/or Goulds.  Traveling for turkeys to different states and regions is a Great experience IMO.  I personally would look to Mexico and see if I could find an outfitter to put me on a double if possible.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 10:00:17 AM »
Based on the turkey hunting trips I see listed in the Cabela's website, I would be opting for one of the hunts for either Gould's, Osceola's, or Ocellated,...and probably in that order.  The other hunts/subspecies available can be undertaken pretty inexpensively and/or DIY. 

The Ocellated hunt opportunity is probably the highest value hunt, but I have no desire to kill an Ocellated turkey in that I see it as nothing more than a glorified peacock that the NWTF decided they wanted to add to the list of "real" turkeys so their high-rollers could have something to hold over all of us regular "peon" turkey hunters,...but hey, to each their own.   ;D :you_rock: :toothy12:

Oops, methinks I might have said too much....   :-X ;D

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »
I've been fortunate to hunt them all. For an experience unlike anything you will have experienced, I'd recommend hunting Ocellated turkeys. I did that in Guatemala with Lovett Williams several times in a true jungle setting. I used a Doug Camp owl hunter to mimic one of the sounds that the hens make and also an electronic call to mimic the male birds. The Ocellated responded best to being challenged by another male. Lovett has passed away and the Guatemala hunts are over. The Yucatan of Mexico is safe for the most part when compared to the area of Mexico where Goulds live. If you do the Ocellated hunt, your chances of success are probably greater to hunt the agricultural fields, but the jungle setting is what I would recommend as you will see much more different wildlife and if a bird comes in, because the cover is so thick, the action is very close up and exciting.

Having said that, I hunted Goulds multiple times in Chihuahua and Sonora. The birds were very responsive and actually plentiful. It is a bit unnerving to be pulled over by the military, various police force outfits. That happened to me on several occasions. I love the terrain that the Goulds live in and those beautiful white tipped birds coming in.

If money is no object, I would use the gift certificate for the Ocellated and plan a trip later on your own for the Goulds. I would strongly recommend Wingshooters Lodge for the Goulds. I last hunted with them in 2009, but you would absolutely have no problem getting a couple of birds there. They have over 100K acres to hunt and have lots of birds.

Offline BennieGobbler

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 11:49:35 AM »
Based on the turkey hunting trips I see listed in the Cabela's website, I would be opting for one of the hunts for either Gould's, Osceola's, or Ocellated,...and probably in that order.  The other hunts/subspecies available can be undertaken pretty inexpensively and/or DIY. 

The Ocellated hunt opportunity is probably the highest value hunt, but I have no desire to kill an Ocellated turkey in that I see it as nothing more than a glorified peacock that the NWTF decided they wanted to add to the list of "real" turkeys so their high-rollers could have something to hold over all of us regular "peon" turkey hunters,...but hey, to each their own.   ;D :you_rock: :toothy12:

Oops, methinks I might have said too much....   :-X ;D
Got this as a 10 year service award.  I like your post as it gives me something to think on.  I’m def not into the high end hunts or need that type of treatment. I just love turkey hunting and want to get biggest bang for buck. I’m just a regular ole jed fella here!!  Just get me bear the turkeys and let me go

Print by Madison, on Flickr

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 12:11:35 PM »
I grew up hunting my dream spots of South Central Florida's blackwater creeks, cypress swamps and oak hammocks.  No where on this earth do I feel more comfortable and at home than turkey hunting those childhood stomping grounds.  So my dream hunt would be a private ranch with the above terrain and a huntable population of Osceolas.   Give me the above along with a small tent, sleeping bag, some MRE's and turn me loose.  I'd take that over the fanciest lodge anywhere with 3 meals a day and turkeys galore.   
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 08:39:49 PM by guesswho »
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 07:44:58 PM »
I would love to hunt Yukon Moose with a bow or go to Mexico to hunt a Gould's turkey.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 07:56:06 AM »
I hear you about wanting to do it yourself. On Lovett Williams Ocellated hunts we stayed in open air huts with bug nets. It was well over 100 each day. You were not pampered. You did all the calling and decided when to call, and made the shot on your terms. You did have a guide to keep you from getting lost in the jungle which was very easy to do. Lovett's Gould's trips were spartan. I slept in tents in below freezing mornings. They gave you an area to hunt in and you went by yourself which was fun. I came upon a makeshift runway with flour bags in the trees marking the approach. Haha--I asked for a different area after that.

Wingshooters has a very comfortable house in the small village of Yecora Sonora. The food is very good, but not fancy. You are taken out, but you most definitely can do all the calling and deciding how you want to hunt. It's not cheap as none of the Goulds trips or for that matter Osceola paid hunts are. Again, I haven't been there in going on 12 years, but again, if you have a freebie hunt ,do one that is different from what you're used to. I'm jealous you have received such a nice gift!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 10:30:01 AM »
Good points, Ron.  I would suspect most, if not all, of the Cabela' hunts have been thoroughly vetted such that there would be no surprises in those hunts.  You would most likely know exactly what you are getting beforehand.

Regarding Mexico Gould's hunts in general (and I am sure this applies to the Ocellated hunts, as well), there are definitely a lot of variables in what to expect,...from hunts with "five star" accommodations, to those with "the basics".  Just remember the "two R's" when booking hunts,...Research and References.  Don't assume anything,...and make sure it is written down in contract form,...especially if you are forking over any money up front.   

Offline ddturkeyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2020, 01:45:41 PM »

[/quote]
Got this as a 10 year service award.  I like your post as it gives me something to think on.  I’m def not into the high end hunts or need that type of treatment. I just love turkey hunting and want to get biggest bang for buck. I’m just a regular ole jed fella here!!  Just get me bear the turkeys and let me go

[/quote]

Wow, that is super to work for a company like that. Make sure you remember that when things get tuff. I worked for thirty years as a public servent and gave them a full eight for eight hours. No Christmas parties for us peon's and a watch at thirty year for retirement. So thanks for shareing, life is good but can always be better. Any trip you pick will be get for sure, good luck and have fun you earned it.

Offline skimerhorn

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2020, 03:53:26 PM »
Va hunter here to. I'd go new Mexico merriam or maybe goulds

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2020, 07:33:44 PM »
Va hunter here to. I'd go new Mexico merriam or maybe goulds

All good choices so far. Me though, I would chase those Merriams for sure in the most picturesque place possible.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer