OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Albert Paul Box Call

Started by GunRunner, December 23, 2020, 05:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

In my collection of about 20 box calls, one of my all time favorites is a 20th Anniversary Albert Paul. It has a Butternut (PA) box with Walnut (NC) paddle and bottom. Runs smooth, sounds great.

I would like to get another Paul box call but I am not sure about wood selections. I prefer a slight high pitch with a slight raspy yelp.

Any suggestions from other Paul Box Call owners would be much appreciated.

Thanks

GunRunner
:turkey:

3bailey3

his Henry Davis is a nice high pitched caller, i also like his all walnut and poplar/walnut! Mr. Paul is a great man and he can tune one to any pitch you like.

shatcher

Walnut over cedar is hard to beat.  Killed a 3 bearded bird with one last April.  It is a treat to talk to Albert and his wife.  Old school and good!

Spring Creek Calls

I have an all walnut call from Albert, I believe that wood combination would serve you well.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

WV Ridge Reaper

I have a Henry Davis...Have had it out a few times..great call,I just know my luck with loosing and breaking things.

His all walnut or walnut/poplar are very swell calls..if I had to pick between those it would be the second one..as others have said very fine and humble people him and his wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I have a 20 checkered walnut over chestnut of his that's a fine call...

Happy hooker

Get the Henry Davis,,,its on a par with the Watkins,Dawkins, and Mann calls and its also beautiful to look at.

ChesterCopperpot

I'm not too good on a box call but this is a cherry over cedar, which is a combo you really never see. I like it pretty good. https://youtu.be/3km4DhVoiPM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vt35mag

All walnut or walnut over catalpa

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Jonathan Wise

All Walnut or Cherry over Sassafras would be good choices.

Really a lot of combos would work if you tell him the sound you are looking for.

vt35mag

Quote from: Jonathan Wise on December 27, 2020, 05:15:02 PM
All Walnut or Cherry over Sassafras would be good choices.

Really a lot of combos would work if you tell him the sound you are looking for.

Cherry over Sassafras is a very good combo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

310 gauge

My suggestion would be Albert's 25th Anniversary Call. It's a Mineral Stained Poplar Box with a beautiful Yellow Heart Lid and Base. Of course it's accurately adorned with inscriptions dedicating this milestone in Albert's career. Sound will be a definite difference in your 20 year box with it  being more clean and less rasp but a Turkey thumper just the same! He may still have a few left also if you decide to call. Good luck with your choice!