OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turpin style call

Started by strutnrut, December 22, 2020, 09:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnrut

Why do people call a Turpin can without a handle a hen box?

TheBigSnood

Great question. I have been very intentional about calling non-handled turpin style calls just that. I can't help what folks call them. I have always understood that Mr. Tom Turpin called his handled turpin a henbox to distinguish the two.  I believe this has been discussed on here before. I guess you can't help what folks call them. I just promote the correct name.  A Turpin-styled call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!

CMBOSTC

Hen box is funner to say is my guess.

strutnrut

Quote from: TheBigSnood on December 22, 2020, 09:22:58 PM
Great question. I have been very intentional about calling non-handled turpin style calls just that. I can't help what folks call them. I have always understood that Mr. Tom Turpin called his handled turpin a henbox to distinguish the two.  I believe this has been discussed on here before. I guess you can't help what folks call them. I just promote the correct name.  A Turpin-styled call.

Not faulting anyone brother. Don't quote me but I think Steve told me it was more a shop term that just seem to stick. I have always referred to a handled call as a Hen Box and a non handled box a a Turpin style.

TheBigSnood

Quote from: strutnrut on December 22, 2020, 10:32:35 PM
Quote from: TheBigSnood on December 22, 2020, 09:22:58 PM

Not faulting anyone brother. Don't quote me but I think Steve told me it was more a shop term that just seem to stick. I have always referred to a handled call as a Hen Box and a non handled box a a Turpin style.
I believe you are right. I am looking for that post where Steve talked about that.

Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!

silverspur

This is from Steve Turpin on the same question on FB

Our family has used the terms "Hen box" and "Standard box" as an informal  way for us to distinguish between the two styles of handled and non handled boxes. Turpin Hen boxes have handles and Turpin Standard boxes do not. Then people shortened this and just started calling them a Hen box and Turpin box. Turpin Hen boxes have handles and Turpin Standard boxes do not. If I modified a Turpin standard box call by putting a handle on it, it would then become a Turpin hen box. The standard box is generally a little larger body sized call (but it doesnt have to be) with about the same overall length as a hen box including the handle.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Sir-diealot

Quote from: silverspur on December 23, 2020, 07:46:59 AM
This is from Steve Turpin on the same question on FB

Our family has used the terms "Hen box" and "Standard box" as an informal  way for us to distinguish between the two styles of handled and non handled boxes. Turpin Hen boxes have handles and Turpin Standard boxes do not. Then people shortened this and just started calling them a Hen box and Turpin box. Turpin Hen boxes have handles and Turpin Standard boxes do not. If I modified a Turpin standard box call by putting a handle on it, it would then become a Turpin hen box. The standard box is generally a little larger body sized call (but it doesnt have to be) with about the same overall length as a hen box including the handle.
I just finished reading that thread and was going to paste it here myself. Neat bit of history.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

shatcher

Set them all straight, Richard.