OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Diaphragm calls  (Read 6079 times)

Offline Boykin Hollow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Diaphragm calls
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 07:07:02 AM »
I am  huge fan of Hooks mouth calls.  It is all I use now.  But be aware if you call Scott be ready to talk turkey for 30 minutes!!!!!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 08:01:28 AM »
Got some from Daddy Rat that I like quite a bit, also a Batwing from another member here who's name I can't recall, also makes lanyards and not Steve or Anyone. I can see him in videos playing a trumpet but can't remember his name, if one of the members could help me I wold appreciate it. Also as mentioned above Gooserbat makes a fine call as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 10:37:15 AM »
Maybe Del Crow DC Custom Calls?

Offline Candyman

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 11:56:54 AM »
Big fan of Daddy Rat calls. His “Blue Death” is my favorite combo cut mouth all.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 01:42:02 PM »
Maybe Del Crow DC Custom Calls?
Yes, thank you, I had Crow in my head but could only think of Val's company and I knew that was not right, thank you again.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 11:54:05 PM »
I like Tom Teasers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 09:10:10 AM »
Kind of off-topic, but worth stating...
A word to the wise: you can spend a lot of time and money chasing mouth calls when the solution really is to focus on learning to control the sound you make with any of them first.  Just sayin',...take it or leave it. 

Offline slicksbeagles1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 01:33:21 PM »
Hooks and Del Crow (savduck on here) makes some good ones

Offline Kingwoodsman

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2020, 12:12:16 PM »
I have used 100s of different ones over the years and keep coming back to a Primos True Double which is a stacked call.  Just seems to work for me.
He is no fool who gives up what he can not keep, to gain what he can not lose. (Jim Elliot)

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »
I have used 100s of different ones over the years and keep coming back to a Primos True Double which is a stacked call.  Just seems to work for me.

Those stacked frames are great, I agree. I ran the Deadly Double for many seasons before finding Gooserbat.

Another great one is Denny Gulvas and his Master's Choice. That is an incredibly consistent and easy to run call.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline husker

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2020, 09:39:39 PM »
I'd echo what a couple of others have said.  I love Hooks because of the small tape.  Bought a call from Sadler McGraw this past Spring and holy cow it is nice sounding.

Offline Southernson13

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2021, 02:03:49 AM »
Basically don't buy anything you can find at academy or Walmart or other big box crap. I tried to learn on a promos starter pack and it delayed my proficiency a lot. I grew a lot on the Billy yargus MAD calls. I think it was the cutntouch of I remember. I found the Billy yargus blue cutter by Woodhaven and that is the call I really learned control. I have used some houndstooth but didn't like them as much as my friends do. For me I would say Woodhaven makes some of the best all around calls. I recently bought some pinhoti diaphragms but have not quite mastered them. I love the sound of both but the ghost right now is more of a soft before fly down type deal but the batwing is more of an all around call. It's really just all about what works best for you. I have lots of friends that will pull out the houndstooth Dixie yelper over anything else.

Offline Tom Dooley

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2021, 10:05:43 AM »
David Halloran she devil works better for me than all that I’ve tried which is alot

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 10:38:17 PM »
I've tried a lot of 'em  but there are a lot of folks making mouth calls.  Some are better than others.  I keep coming back to Hooks and some Woodhavens.  Scott Ellis makes a fine call for Woodhaven.  Hooks are consistent and they work for me.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline birdman24

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 02:24:31 AM »
I am  huge fan of Hooks mouth calls.  It is all I use now.  But be aware if you call Scott be ready to talk turkey for 30 minutes!!!!!
Truth

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk