OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New SX4 20 gauge  (Read 2136 times)

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
New SX4 20 gauge
« on: December 04, 2020, 01:43:28 PM »
Last year I decided to go the 20 gauge route and bought a factory camo 870 Compact. Using a Carlson .575 and a Primos .570 I had good patterns with a variety of loads and decided Hevi13 7’s were my best choice because Iowa won’t let me use 9’s.
Having a good supply of Hevi’s that will probably be my best place to start with the SX4. I’m thinking I’ll try another Carlson tube, probably the same constriction. ***I wide open to other ideas too.***
I went with the SX4 because it’s basically the same shotgun as my Browning Silver and both of my sons shoot SX3’s for all of their wingshooting. Pretty trouble free and very reasonably priced.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
Re: New SX4 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 02:58:05 PM »
Last year I decided to go the 20 gauge route and bought a factory camo 870 Compact. Using a Carlson .575 and a Primos .570 I had good patterns with a variety of loads and decided Hevi13 7’s were my best choice because Iowa won’t let me use 9’s.
Having a good supply of Hevi’s that will probably be my best place to start with the SX4. I’m thinking I’ll try another Carlson tube, probably the same constriction. ***I wide open to other ideas too.***
I went with the SX4 because it’s basically the same shotgun as my Browning Silver and both of my sons shoot SX3’s for all of their wingshooting. Pretty trouble free and very reasonably priced.
What is the smallest size you can shoot in Iowa?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: New SX4 20 gauge
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 04:25:19 PM »
What is the smallest size you can shoot in Iowa?
From the Iowa DNR. Seems really silly we can use 8 but not 9.
The only legal firearms for turkey hunting are: shotguns and muzzleloader shotguns not smaller than 20-gauge shooting number 4 through 8 lead or nontoxic shot. Hunters may not have shot sizes other than number 4 through 8 on their person while hunting turkeys. Muzzleloading rifles may not be used to hunt turkeys.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk