OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: KY's Daniel Boone NF Question for those that hunt it.  (Read 3597 times)

Offline chad fenton

KY's Daniel Boone NF Question for those that hunt it.
« on: November 30, 2020, 02:36:15 PM »
Was in Clay county last week for thanksgiving.  We did alot of trail riding with family while we were there. 
Question is do you use a atv or side by side or truck to get in areas?  Why I ask is I found some areas I will be going back to scout/ hunt come spring, but man...... they are a long way from any trail head if you would call it that.  Much of the forest I was around seem to be above private owned property lower around all the creeks and forks of the creeks. 

Pm are greatly appreciated

Offline chad fenton

Re: KY's Daniel Boone NF Question for those that hunt it.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 09:45:40 AM »
Don't want folks thinking I want to run the woods in/on an ATV.  I don't own one, I guess my ATV would be a mountain bike at most (which I don't have either).  For me it would be driving my truck as far as I can, walking from there.  I did not see many gates like the NF where I live.   

Just lookin for some insight.   

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 10:41:16 AM »
I know nothing about the DB National Forest, but generally speaking, most of the National Forests have very specific regulations regarding off-road vehicle uses nowadays,...and that information should be readily available to you by contacting the Forest Service office that administers that NF.  I'm not sure if it is country-wide, but the National Forests in this area have free "travel maps" available that show you where you can legally go,...and what types of vehicles you can use to get there.

One of the "pet peeves" of many of us that hunt National Forests is dealing with the regular violators of Forest Service rules/regulations regarding motorized-vehicle use and off-road regulations.  Moral of this story: If you are going to recreate on National Forests (or other public lands), contact the agency in charge and find out exactly what you can legally do in terms of vehicle use.  (As an incentive to staying legal, I can tell you the NF that I regularly hunt has a fine of up to $5,000 and up to a year in jail for violating off-road regulations,...hence, it's a good idea to know what you can do or not do...   ;D )

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »
Many years ago I hunted the Kentucky's Boone NF's northern sections around Rowan County.  About the same time I also hunted Ohio's Wayne NF.  We found the same problem in both.  Local landowners that abut access areas or directly border National Forest lands often do their best to discourage any "outsider" from easily entering the public forest.  Phony No parking signs, No trespassing signs, and blocked roads were common.  We worked around it but often felt uneasy leaving a truck parked in some areas.  Somewhere I have an old Ohio picture of NO PARKING signs nailed to trees about 3 miles up a gravel access road.  A check with the local LEO was meet with a smile and head shake.  The signs were gone the next visit.

Coincidentally I ordered the latest NF maps available of the Daniel Boone last summer.  A great tool but some of the newer computer apps that give actual boundaries would be helpful.  As has been mention the rules for off road travel will be spelled out clearly in literature.  No doubt the most frequently violated rules.

Good luck.  The Daniel Boone is a beautiful place.  With Kentucky's telecheck system you will be able to tell how much turkey pressure it gets.       

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 08:30:20 PM »
It my be worth it to invest in OnX app. I used hunting out west and it worked great.

Wait for sale on Camofire. Usually get a big discount around holidays.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 07:53:04 AM »
I have spent 35 years hunting Daniel Boone NF in Rowan, Menifee, Clay, Bath, Morgan and other areas. No ATVS are allowed, period (except one recreational area in White sulfur) on NF lands. It's walk in mostly, but I have seen several hunters using mountain bikes. An officer told me it is ok for bikes, but they must stay on access roads/trails.

I have never had any problem getting access nor seen the fake sign issue, spoke of earlier, but I'm sure it happens. Most of the locals have been very helpful. In the last few years the turkey population has really dropped from the peak about 10 years ago. I think it's just a normal leveling off to a carrying capacity. Do your scouting well or you'll burn a lot of energy for nothing. Some areas are hot while others are poor. It's steep hills and long walks.

Offline chad fenton

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 09:23:58 AM »
Here in Nc where I live (over by the coast)  I have the Croatan in my back yard, literally...  I do all of my turkey hunting in it.  Our population is alot higher and the forest is used by alot more folks compared to the areas I was at Thanksgiving.  The Croatan is marked very well with signs but many are disregarded. 

I know there are some areas where vehicle traffic was allowed ( gas roads ) i guess is what they were called but, did not see hardly any gates and signs allowing foot traffic only. 

I have the onx map app but do not have a subscription.  I 100%plan on having it comw spring.