OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Simple 2 Pot 20 Tone Call

Started by CrankyTom, November 23, 2020, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrankyTom

It's a simple design made with two different ceramics.  Each has a lip on one side, flat on the other side.

Depending on how you stack (or dont stack) and what side you strike them you get 20 distinct tones.  In other words they sound like 20 different hens.

Each of the 20 tones are within the frequency (vibrations per second) and decibel range (volume) heard best by turkeys. 

CrankyTom

I have 2 other simple ceramic calls with multiple tones and what I call a poor man's trumpet.  You can see in the pics why these two ceramic calls have different tones. 

I'm not done with the trumpet.  The trumpet has 2 sound chambers and sounds ok but isn't quite right yet.  I'll have to keep trying different sizes to get it right.

Turkeys hearing is different than ours.  What we hear and what they hear are different. 

Turkeys have a columella, which speeds up the vibrations to the part of the brain that recognizes sound. This quick progression means that birds literally hear faster than us. While we hear sounds in bytes about 1/20 of a second long, birds discriminate up to 1/200 of a second. That gives turkeys the ability to hear shorter notes, where one note to us equals ten notes to them. 

Your yelps might sound spot on to you but not to the birds. 

I've tested my calls and of course I like them.  Others have not liked them until they tried them out.  They thought that the sound wasn't quite right but the birds come.

slicksbeagles1

BigSlam51

Quote from: slicksbeagles1 on November 28, 2020, 10:41:33 PM
How about a sound file
Yeah I'd like to hear those

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

CrankyTom

I posted 20 tones but if you strike the rim or the back side of the rim it is closer to 30 tones. 
"A" sound file is really over 20 sound files.  If I was planning on selling them I would make a video but I currently do not plan on selling. 

I see numerous types of calls made by members here.  Excellent craftsmanship.  The calls look great!  I'm more interested in calls that work better than most. 

BigSlam51

Man if they're that good you should change the game for sure! I'd probably enter a few in Nashville.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CrankyTom

I'm assuming Nashville is some sort of turkey calling competition?  If so these calls would never win.  These calls were made based on what turkeys hear not what we hear. 
I'm really not sure how they judge calling competitions?  I've heard real turkeys calling that I thought was a tone deaf hunter calling until the bird showed up.  Had I not seen it with my own eyes I would have never believed it was a turkey.

slicksbeagles1

CrankyTom, even if your not going to sale them I am sure we would all like to hear what you have stumbled on too! Just make a sound file of the simple sounds like the Yelp, cutting, cluck etc.

CrankyTom

What kind of files can be uploaded?

slicksbeagles1

CrankyTom one of these tech savy guys will have to help you. I read under turkey  call sound files something about YouTube

Sir-diealot

You can record the sound on your cell or computer and then upload it to this site https://soundcloud.com/discover You will have to make a free account with them first though. It is not at all complicated.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

slicksbeagles1

CrankyTom we haven't heard anything from you! I hope you are fixing us some sound files!

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

CrankyTom

Sorry All!  It's Christmas season and I sell engraved mirrors and other things.  My oldest buddy was up from SC.  He's a turkey fanatic.   I gave him my call so I have to make another.  It's going to have to wait till I have time to make it and record a few sound files.

I have Turkey, Wood Duck, Deer and just about any image on mirrors.  When I get to it I will include a sound file of striking the back of the 4" mirror.  It's amazing!