OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What type of hat do you hunt in?

Started by turkeykiller22, November 16, 2020, 11:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencop01

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Greg Massey

baseball style cap , it depends on the temperature if it's mesh back or solid back....

Gobble!

Vintage

Baseball camo hat with leafy flage over the hat that is my mask also.

tracker#1

My best was a short (bill) brimmed hat, camo, with a light attached face mask with an opening for eyes only. The mask would lay behind your head, drape your back neck. Easily deployed for speed. I purchased it from "Wing Supply" about 20 years ago and wore it on every turkey hunt. Unfortunately, I lost it and can not find another. Might have to fabricate one myself. A good short-brimmed hat is hard to find, USA made...

fmf

I wear a watch cap, beanie, skull cap, whatever you want to call it on those cold mornings early in the season, the rest of the time I wear a mesh back cap, flex fit is the stuff!  I wish that I could find a quality full mesh camo hat, but the only one that I've tried turned blue the first time that I washed it..

Spitten and drummen

Boonie hat for me 90 percent of time. If in a hurry any hat is fine with me as long as it does not have any bright colors.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

natman

I hunt in the Napa Valley in California. First thing in the morning the coastal fog is usually in and it can be cold, sometimes down to the thirties even in spring. As the morning goes on, the fog cover burns off and the sun warms things up, sometimes by as much as 40 degrees or more. So thermal flexibility is critical.

I turkey hunt in a mesh hat in the original Realtree Xtra Brown. When it's cold I let the adjustment out a notch and wear a fleece do-rag underneath to keep warm. As it warms up, I'll switch to a lighter twill do-rag. When it gets hot I wear just the cap.

1iagobblergetter

Camo non mesh baseball cap in nice weather and in bad the same with a camo stocking hat pulled over it..

shaman

Back when I started, there were no purpose-built turkey duds.  You had to improvise and make your own.

After a few years, I settled on a fairly wide-brimmed boonie hat with camo mesh tied to it.  I used it like a veil.  It's been 40 years, and it's still my favorite method.

When I'm out walking, the veil lays back over the hat and down the back of my neck.  In late season, it acts as a sun shade. When I'm settled, I pull the mesh down over my face and there's enough slack in it that I can peer out under the brim.  I also have the option of leaving it piled up on top of my head.  All I have to do is tilt my head down and the veil falls over my face. 

Here in the Trans-Bluegrass,  we have several days in the pre-season and early season where it may be downright cold.  I have a wool balaclava over which I pull one of these:

It German mil-surp. 

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Chris O

Any kind of camo ball cap and when it's raining I have a Drakes waterfowl gortex camo ball cap

Vintage

Baseball cap with leafy flage over it.

shatcher

In NW Middle TN, it's St. Louis Cardinals ball cap!  Bright red!

Ctrize

Shoregobbler

QuikCamo baseball style in Leafy Mothwing camo.