OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: One of each color  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
One of each color
« on: November 09, 2020, 09:45:07 PM »
For a while I have been wanting to get a set of slate calls in each color and each in the same pot. After thinking, seeing and hearing lots of different woods with slate in them I decided to go with persimmon wood. I talked it over with Mark AKA Footballer and asked him if he would be interested in doing the set and he said he would so I started to pay him for it a little each month and then he made it for me. I really like the way each looks and sounds, each slate surface has it own unique sound and way to play them. I have to say I like them quite a bit and I enjoyed working with Mark again, he helped me to get a black slate in white oak pot a few years ago and also a anodized black aluminum also in white oak both of which sound great and last year he made a call for me for a Spring giveaway I did here in Tigerwood with crystal striking surface so I have a lot of trust in him and what he suggests. Anyway here are the calls he made for me.
From left to right red slate, black slate, purple slate and green slate. Each over a glass striking surface.

Here are the backs, very pretty grain.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
Re: One of each color
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 02:50:00 AM »
You should be able to pile the turkeys up with those.....very nice!!!

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 06:19:16 AM »
Very nice .

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:21:05 AM »
You should be able to pile the turkeys up with those.....very nice!!!
Thank you, I pulled out all my pessimon strikers to try on them a bit later. I sure do hope to get a mess of them

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:21:20 AM »
Very nice .
Thanks

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

John Koenig:

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 08:40:13 AM »
Very good looking calls. Mark's calls produce great sounds as he does very high quality work

Online sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »
Nice looking set of slate calls!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 310 gauge

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 12:02:51 PM »
Mark does do a fine job and the idea of using the same wood on these various slates is intriguing indeed! Good luck Steve on rating your new pots and how they respond to Persimmon, Hickory, and other "flavors" you try to pair them with. In the end though Tom will hopefully give the most favorable opinion!

Online turkey stew

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »
Congrats on some fine slate pots.

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 04:31:10 PM »
 Great looking calls Steve, congrats!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 05:13:22 PM »
Very good looking calls. Mark's calls produce great sounds as he does very high quality work
Yes he does, I will have him do more for me in the future, I messed up a spot on the anodized aluminum and will be having him make me another to replace it, it still works mind you but it just bugs me to look at it and know I made a stupid mistake when I conditioned it. (Used a stone)

Mark does do a fine job and the idea of using the same wood on these various slates is intriguing indeed! Good luck Steve on rating your new pots and how they respond to Persimmon, Hickory, and other "flavors" you try to pair them with. In the end though Tom will hopefully give the most favorable opinion!
I hope to play with all my strikers with them at one point or another, I pulled out all my persimmon ones today before I left the house but did not have time to try them outside as I got dangerously tired to be driving after trapping today, so it will have to wait until  tomorrow. Can't wait to try yellow-heart and locust as well as the ones you mentioned.

Congrats on some fine slate pots.
Thank you very much.

Great looking calls Steve, congrats!
Thank you.

John Koenig:

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 06:16:38 PM »
Wow, nice calls Steve. That is a nice collection. You are sure to lure a weary gobbler in with that arsenal. Good luck, be safe....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 06:53:08 PM »
Wow, nice calls Steve. That is a nice collection. You are sure to lure a weary gobbler in with that arsenal. Good luck, be safe....
Thanks Tom, you too.

John Koenig:

Offline Wingbeat

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 11:30:58 PM »
What an awesome set of calls!! I love persimmon.

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »
Nice set calls ,,, did that in every color and wood also and u get good fell for what sound each color produces   :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey