OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: On The TSS Train  (Read 3326 times)

Offline 870BkWht

• The Boss Gobbler
  • West Virginia
On The TSS Train
« on: March 06, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
So, last spring I finally killed a Spring Gobbler with my 20 ga.  The gun I have is a Remington 870 and it started its life as a 28'' barreled cheap Express.  I actually killed my first turkey (a fall hen) and I never turkey hunted with it much after that time.  Well, round about 2013, I got bitten by the gun again, and I traded barrels with a member on here (he wanted a long barrel, I wanted a short barrel) and then I started buying some different chokes.  I settled on a couple of copper plated lead loads and a TRUGLO SSX .565.  Then I tried a couple of the Fed HVWT #7s, and I finally killed a nice public land gobbler last spring.  Well, fast forward to now, and I had a guy I work with give me a couple of TSS loads to try.  I patterned  one and then bought a box for myself and I decided to try the Federal TSS Hvwt #8/10.  Im not a guy who gets hung up with how many pellets are in the 10 inch circle.  I look for how many pellets are in the head and neck area.  The TSS is hand over fist better better than the regular Fed HvWt #7s and a copper plated lead load isnt even comparable.  Anyays, I stapled a turkey neck target to a piece of poster board and then put it out at 41 of my steps.  My steps are a little large as I got long legs, and I actually think this was about 42-43yds.  Anyways, after shooting this, Ill never go back to anything less than the TSS and Ill never pick up my 870 12 ga again.  I actually sold the 12ga and for me, a 20ga is the way to go. 

I know this pattern isn't what some people on here would like, but to me, its a stark difference between getting 6 or 7 in the head and neck if i was lucky to what you see in the picture.  I know there is no way a turkey would survive this at 40 yards or less.

So, needless to say, I have been led to water, Ive seen the light, and Im on board the TSS train for here on out.

I hand painted the gun this past summer and put a cheapish red dot sight on it as well.  Im excited to carry it this Spring.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: On The TSS Train
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 06:21:57 AM »
Congrats on the 20 gauge kill. Nice to shoot 20 isn't it.
Pretty neat paint job on that shotgun too.

Offline Reddog1966

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 07:46:31 AM »
That paint job looks cool!  I’m sold on TSS as well. Good luck with that combo this spring.

Offline Hoot 000

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 05:13:04 PM »
That is a sharp paint job .I am using a 20 guage and Apex 9's IC .555 deadly combo,doesn't hurt the shoulder lol

Offline captfire

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 07:48:15 AM »
I got on the tss band wagon this turkey season had a tom hang up on me at 53 yards so I said time to put the tss to the test will the tom took a ride home in the back of my truck that was with a 12 ga. but I;am working on a 20 ga, for next spring,,,

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 09:47:40 AM »
Nice work on the paint job.  Been on the Train for the last 7 years, with the 20ga. My 12 ga guns will never hunt again.  Start hand loading and you will enjoy it that much more.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 11:56:35 AM »
That's a sweet paint job. How many hours invested?
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 10:16:32 AM »
Beautiful paint job. I don't plan on ever shooting anything besides TSS at turkeys again either.