OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Weatherby SA 459 Extra Green  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Neill_Prater

• The Boss Gobbler
Weatherby SA 459 Extra Green
« on: October 06, 2020, 10:23:24 AM »
Finally had an opportunity to shoot my new Weatherby. The plan was to pattern both Apex and Foxtrot loads, but the idiot in charge of bringing the shells, me, managed to grab the Foxtrot .410's instead of 20 gauge! 

Patterning was combined with sighting in, so the first pattern is quite a bit high. The barrel was cleaned, but not deeply. The chokes, Carlson's .555 and.575, were right out of the package. I ran 5 field loads through the factory choke to insure that the gun would cycle correctly, then ran a boresnake through the barrel twice.

I was a bit surprised that the pellet count is virtually identical, but the 575 looks more center dense. Ten inch count was approximately 200. I hope to get out and try the Foxtrot shells in a few days.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
Re: Weatherby SA 459 Extra Green
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 09:43:29 AM »
That gun will do way better If you want it to. 
Don't gobble at me...

Offline Neill_Prater

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 01:01:52 PM »
No doubt, but for a hunting pattern, I am not that unhappy with these. Anxious to try the Foxtrot shells and see if there is any appreciable difference, but, honestly, I wouldn't be a bit afraid to hunt with the Apex based just on these patterns. Certainly a higher pellet count than I ever got with 3 inch #5 Longbeard in my 12 gauge, and I have killed a bunch of birds with them over the past decade.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 06:14:18 PM »
those will take a bird with no problem
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline Ross R

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 03:23:17 PM »
I just finally counted my shots from February with the same load and a carlson .575. I got 210 in the circle. I am working on getting the picture posted. 

Offline msm210

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 07:40:20 PM »
Question - I have the SA459 shooting an IC555 choke and both Federal and Apex TSS.  Shoots good (250ish); what can be done to make it shoot better?  Looking for recommendations on load/choke combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 10:27:26 AM »
Make a choke change then play with the shells.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 05:39:14 PM »
I assume they were #9?

Definitely the second one is a straight killer (although the first would work fine too).  You can definitely get better if you want to, but them shells ain' cheap. I get just shy of 170 (169 and 167) with the Federal Heavyweight #7 (I bought a BUNCH of them) through both an 870 and an SA459, both with Trulock chokes. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 04:37:56 AM »
Question - I have the SA459 shooting an IC555 choke and both Federal and Apex TSS.  Shoots good (250ish); what can be done to make it shoot better?  Looking for recommendations on load/choke combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Open the choke up to a  .562  or  .570 and you might even try a  .575.