OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Bow strings  (Read 1864 times)

Offline lmbunch69

Bow strings
« on: September 26, 2020, 02:21:57 PM »
Does 150 out the door for a new set of strings and cables installed and tuned sound about right? Thought it seemed a little high but I like and trust the shop.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: Bow strings
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 04:43:14 PM »
Seems high. I bought mine for $60 and installed them myself

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 06:04:32 PM by Happy »

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline falltoms

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 05:29:06 PM »
Wow, it's been awhile since I've bought strings and cables,  but that seems awful high.  Keep um waxed so they last

Online Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 05:43:57 PM »
That doesn't seem that bad to me if they are a custom set of high quality strings, installed and tuned.

I guess a lot depends on where you live and availability of pro shops.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 06:50:29 PM »
I paid close to that 2 years ago for new strings and cables on my PSE Carrera, I did get a Zebra String though which is higher priced string.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 07:49:58 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 11:11:08 PM »
150 at a quality shop is about average anymore.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 01:41:39 AM »
That's on par with what I've paid. I'm currently set up with Rogue R19's right now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 05:29:29 AM »
I paid 160 for a complete tune up and re-string.
Was happy with the work done!
Don’t know if that was high or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 07:05:11 PM »
i make my own recurve strings for about $8 each,,,,,,,,,,,,,custom colors too......

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 07:08:42 PM »
i make my own recurve strings for about $8 each,,,,,,,,,,,,,custom colors too......
I have a friend that was going to teach me to do that but he got sick. I have seen him do it before, neat to watch.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Online captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 07:51:41 AM »
It doesn't sound out of line. A set of custom string & cables will run from $80-$110+ depending material, number of colors and number in the set. $50 for labor(depending what all the shop did) to install and tune would be a fair price. I spent 2-3 hours installing a new set and tuning a buddy's bow. That included timing/syncing the cams, tying in the peep, setting nock height & tied nock sets, new D-loop, adjusting/tying in the drop-away rest cord and serving the string where the string stop hits.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 07:02:09 PM »
X2, doesn’t seem crazy...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 06:08:54 PM »
It’s crazy and out of line but that’s the going price. Like cars new bows are sorta dependent on certain tools. Today’s parallel to past parallel limb bows require presses that could handle that. The prices on them relatively high. Most won’t buy one because of that so they’re stuck paying what’s asked. With the press you’re talking limited time and it’s not that hard. You’ll need a press to tune anyhow.  Learn to make strings and cables too. It’s really not hard either. Course you need a jig and stretcher, serving tool and serving string. Or shoot a Stykbow and life is easy. String material, a board with some nails in the right spot, serving string few wraps, cuts, twists and a Flemish string is born. Course an endless loop string is easier but you need the tools mentioned.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2020, 06:13:17 PM »
It’s crazy and out of line but that’s the going price. Like cars new bows are sorta dependent on certain tools. Today’s parallel to past parallel limb bows require presses that could handle that. The prices on them relatively high. Most won’t buy one because of that so they’re stuck paying what’s asked. With the press you’re talking limited time and it’s not that hard. You’ll need a press to tune anyhow.  Learn to make strings and cables too. It’s really not hard either. Course you need a jig and stretcher, serving tool and serving string. Or shoot a Stykbow and life is easy. String material, a board with some nails in the right spot, serving string few wraps, cuts, twists and a Flemish string is born. Course an endless loop string is easier but you need the tools mentioned.
My friend I mentioned above used post with holes in them, the kind you would see signs mounted on and then he was able to adjust the "Jig" to make strings any length he wanted. Of course there were two vertical pegs to put the strings on, that is what I remember of the process but that was before my last car accident and that was in 2001

John Koenig:

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2020, 06:18:39 PM »
Excuse me regarding the string jig and stretcher there’s not much to em. I bet you could make em. Bet you could make the press somewhat easily too come to think of it