OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Prepping for turkey season so had open heart surgery 9-16-20 UPDATE LONGBEARD!

Started by MDSTRUTNRUT, September 25, 2020, 09:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDSTRUTNRUT

Well my "jeans" and my "genes" finally caught up with me a couple weeks ago.  While checking some cameras on a super hot day about 3 weeks prior I had a little tightness in my chest and was a little short of breath.   Now I'm NOT in good shape  really didn't feel much different than years past but something was different like pressure didn't go away even that nite while resting.    Gave my cardiologist  a call on Monday and the ride  started.  Ekg that week-normal, nuclear stress test next week -FAIL, had one 4 years prior that was normal.   Heart cath the next day and Doc's quote "HE"S A MESS".   7 or 8 blockages, 3 major heart arteries and a major side branch  95% blocked, another 75% and some 50%'s too.   Met surgeon that day in hospital that afternoon and he gave wife and I the details and stats you know the % of this that like chances of death.  They thought about next day surgery but hospital schedules didn't work so 9-16-20 was it also my son's birthday.   Birthday cake and presents came a day early.    Surgery went good quadruple bypass  and after 4 nites in hospital  I came home feeling like a new man but this guy was not the 58 year old short overweight guy that went into hospital.   Now feel like a 90 year old that got ran over over by a school bus.   I had been feeling good(no elephant on chest or pain of any kind) so with my chest being cracked open it's going to take a bit to get over that and then keep going to  higher levels  than before.   Very fortunate they caught it before the "BIG ONE" and am VERY BLESSED with the many prays for me and my family, many people I have never met.   Will be trying some deer hunting at LOW LEVELS in another month  half (mid nov coincidence) and been invited this late winter or early spring to Texas for some exotics so looking forward to that.   Turkey season will EXCITING this year as I feel that I've been given a second chance at playing the game on this side of heaven and plan on taking advantage of it.   Guys and gals listen to your bodies and docs.   My dad had a heart attack and bypass at around 72 and lived to 78, brother had bypass at 62 and still going 10 years later.    Do wish they had a shot that they could give me about once a year that would make me feel this BAD for about a week to remember NOT TO GO BACK to my old ways as many people do. 

rakkin6

Best of luck in your recovery, take advantage of your blessings that is was caught in time. Listen to the docs and make whatever lifestyle changes and whatever recovery they recommend. I know this can be hard. Take care and God bless

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

THattaway

I'm saying you'll bounce back and feel years and years younger by next turkey season. Pity for the turkeys then. Get well soon pal.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Jbird22

Take care and most definitely do what they tell you to do! Walk when you don't feel like walking and then walk some more. My Dad (72) went on this ride starting last Nov (light stroke) which led to his dr's discovering heart issues. That led to double bipass surgery in late Jan. He found out he had a silent, substantial heart attack years ago that had left him with only 50% heart function. His recovery was rough given his circumstances. Just keep the big picture and mind and do the best you can each day. I pray God blesses you with a complete, speedy recovery!

310 gauge

You gotta a new lease on life!  Our Creator decided you still had a purpose left on this planet. Discover it, make the most of it, and embrace every minute. And never let a day go by that you don't thank Him for that opportunity! God is Good!!! StaySafe!!!

guesswho

Good luck, follow your Doctors guidelines and you should be ready to go by the season opener.   I'm prepping for season as well, but I'm going to try and avoid that open heart surgery portion of it.   Wishing you a speedy recovery and a successful spring season.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

Sorry to hear you had to go through all that, but I am glad that it sounds like they found everything and that surgery went well. Granted my situation was not the same but I was and am grateful that God saw fit to let me into the woods again and I am sure you feel the same way. I wish you all the luck in the world with your recovery and in the woods. God bless.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Happy

My grandad had open heart surgery about 20 years ago. Triple bypass. He was mad that after they cut him open he couldn't lift the homestead anvil over his head anymore. But he is still kicking. Just helped me put the last of the boards down on my deck last weekend at 86 years old. I hope it works out as well for you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Prayers , glad your doing good after heart surgery , just take it easy and take care of yourself , spring will be here before you know it .. Good time to rest and play turkey calls ..

Tom007

God bless, glad you are doing well. You have many more sunrises to experience, and many more gobblers to chase. Be well my friend....
"Solo hunter"

fishr64

Glad your surgery went well and you're on the road to recovery! My dad had 5 bypass surgery 5 years ago at 72 and it turned a new page for him. He's down 40 pounds, in great shape from walking most days and is loving life now.

Don't forget to check with your doctor on shooting your guns this soon due to the ribs. My uncle had heart surgery in June and his surgeon has him holding off until October. (He shoots skeet, or used to, 1 or 2 times a week so he's going nuts.)

greencop01

I had a triple bypass 8 years ago. Amazing what they can do today. Hope your in the turkey woods this spring and that you have a great time in the turkey hunting. Follow the dr's orders and and heal up, you'll be up and and about to normal before you know it. The Good Lord and His Second Chances never cease to amaze me and keep me in wonder and awe at His kindness to us. God Bless and Godspeed to your recovery.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

flockbuster

Had the same surgery in July 3rd, 2005 . I was able to shoot doves on labor day weekend. Granted I was 45 then so my recovery ability was probably better then. It took me longer to walk in and out of the field because I wasn't fully recovered but shooting wasn't an issue and a buddy helped carry some of my junk. Walking in waders in duck season a few months later also wore me out but again,as long as I didn't get in a big hurry I was fine. By turkey season the following year I was as good as new. Keep plugging away at rehab and you will be good to go, it just takes time.

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Beards and Hooks

Glad to hear your on your way to recovery and wish you many more mornings hunting these awesome birds bud!