OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Savage 320 20 gauge  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Savage 320 20 gauge
« on: September 23, 2020, 08:31:37 PM »
A friend pick herself up a Savage model 320 20 gauge and will be hunting for the first time this deer season and is looking to turkey hunt as well, more than likely in the Spring I would assume. I was wondering if anybody would have any suggestions as to loads for her, she is not opposed to using TSS or lead shot (We can not go above 8 shot here in NY) and I believe she will be shooing fiber optic sites. I am interested in choke tubes for her as well.

I have known her since she was just out of diapers and the entire family is like family to me so I would really like to see her succeed.  Thank you for any help given. 
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
Re: Savage 320 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 08:51:56 PM »
Well TSS is great out of a 20 gauge but EXPENSIVE!! Maybe try the Winchester longboards first and see what you get but you will get more range with the TSS.

If I am not mistaken the gun takes the Browning investor standard threads. I don't think you could go wrong with an Indian Creek, Trulock or Jebs

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 09:05:59 PM »
Sorry it takes the Win Choke pattern my bad

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 09:57:42 PM »
Well TSS is great out of a 20 gauge but EXPENSIVE!! Maybe try the Winchester longboards first and see what you get but you will get more range with the TSS.

If I am not mistaken the gun takes the Browning investor standard threads. I don't think you could go wrong with an Indian Creek, Trulock or Jebs

She did seem interested in TSS right off the bat, I told her if she chooses to go that way then she should start signing in with some low base cheap loads. Any particular restrictions she should start out with? They have a lot more money to play with than I do, so don't be afraid to mention something a little expensive, just nothing gold plated :D

Sorry it takes the Win Choke pattern my bad

Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 10:09:29 PM »
Well I love my Indian Creek chokes, I have one in all three of my guns and they throw a wicked latter with Winchester Longboards 3" #5. All three guns are 12 gauges, when I buy my 20 gauge this is what I am going with.

Has far has ammo like I mentioned the Winchester longbeards are a great choice in lead. If she wants TSS all the guys I know that use 20s and and TSS like the Apex ammo. But I would also try the federal TSS. If the federals shoot good for her you can sometimes catch them on sale. The Apex are a little bit more expensive but everyone seems to love them.

https://apexmunition.com/collections/turkey-tss/gt-20-20-gauge-1-5-8oz-5-shells/

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline gatrkyhntr70

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 10:35:46 PM »
Save your time and money, get an Indian Creek .555 and the apex tss, federal can be good but in my experience the federal isn't consistent.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 10:37:44 PM »
Well I love my Indian Creek chokes, I have one in all three of my guns and they throw a wicked latter with Winchester Longboards 3" #5. All three guns are 12 gauges, when I buy my 20 gauge this is what I am going with.

Has far has ammo like I mentioned the Winchester longbeards are a great choice in lead. If she wants TSS all the guys I know that use 20s and and TSS like the Apex ammo. But I would also try the federal TSS. If the federals shoot good for her you can sometimes catch them on sale. The Apex are a little bit more expensive but everyone seems to love them.

https://apexmunition.com/collections/turkey-tss/gt-20-20-gauge-1-5-8oz-5-shells/

Thank you, I also told her those that I know on this site mostly like the TSS and gave her the same link. I use the Winchester Long beard XR's myself though in #6's at 1050 fps and am very happy with them but have no clue how they perform in a 20 I will let her know about Indian creek chokes though I would like to see some of the guys that use 20's pipe in on their opinions as well.

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 10:39:32 PM »
Save your time and money, get an Indian Creek .555 and the apex tss, federal can be good but in my experience the federal isn't consistent.
Another vote for the Indian Creek. I hope I do not come off rude, it is not my intent, but have you used them in 20 gauge guns? Thank you for the help.

John Koenig:

Offline gatrkyhntr70

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 11:14:29 PM »
Yes Sir, in 20ga numerous 870's, one Mossberg 88, 2 savage 301 single shots and a benelli nova. In my experience it's hands down the way to go with a 20ga.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 11:49:20 PM »
Yes Sir, in 20ga numerous 870's, one Mossberg 88, 2 savage 301 single shots and a benelli nova. In my experience it's hands down the way to go with a 20ga.
Thank you very much.

John Koenig:

Offline gatrkyhntr70

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 01:12:13 AM »
Yes Sir!!! :cowboy:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 12:26:28 AM by gatrkyhntr70 »
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 09:01:39 AM »
Win/ Browning Invector/Savage are all the same choke tube threads.  With TSS the chokes are definitely more forgiving than w/ lead and as long as you utilize a choke w/ a long parallel diameter you will do fine.  I've utilized TSS w/ a variety of manufacturers choke tubes, ie. Indian Creek, SumToy, Briley, Trulock, and Carlson's and they all make quality products.  As a general rule, you utilize a more open turkey choke w/ a back-bored barrel and a slightly tighter choke w/ a nominally choked 20 gauge barrel. A choke diameter of .560-.570 shooting 7's should produce a pattern w/ a tight 10" core and even 20".  Based upon the number of shells which will be expended during turkey hunting, I would definitely go w/ TSS and there are a number of "new" TSS offerings on the market.  Check out tssshot.com which is being produced by one of the original TSS gurus which should have an expansion of the shot sizes available soon. All of the gobblers which I killed this past spring were shot between 15-40 yards with TSS and the penetration/knock-down cannot be duplicated w/ lead. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:19:05 AM by decoykrvr »

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 09:15:33 AM »
Win/ Browning Invector/Savage are all the same choke tube threads.  With TSS the chokes are definitely more forgiving than w/ lead and as long as you utilize a choke w/ a long parallel diameter you will do fine.  I've utilized TSS w/ a variety of manufacturers choke tubes, ie. Indian Creek, SumToy, Briley, Trulock, and Carlson's and they all make quality products.  As a general rule, you utilize a more open turkey choke w/ a back-bored barrel and a slightly tighter choke w/ a nominally choked 20 gauge barrel. A choke diameter of .560-.570 should produce a pattern w/ a tight 10" core and even 20".  Based upon the number of shells which will be expended during turkey hunting, I would definitely go w/ TSS and there are a number of "new" TSS offerings on the market.  Check out tssshot.com which is being produced by one of the original TSS gurus.
This

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 09:43:35 AM »
Is she a new hunter or does she have some experience shooting? If she is a new hunter, something to consider is how tight the pattern is going to be at 15 to 20 yards. If you get the pattern to tight, it could very easily be a miss at closer ranges. It can sometimes be tough for an experienced shooter/hunter to hit a baseball sized target(turkey head) with a baseball/softball size pattern. One little move by the shooter or the target and it is very possibly a miss.

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 12:21:37 PM »
IMO, you really can't shoot "too much" to familiarize yourself w/ a hunting gun.  In most cases, I advocate shooting light field loads under a variety of shooting conditions, positions, and ranges to develop confidence, muscle memory, and a degree of range estimation.  If you set limits on the range which you will attempt to harvest game, be it turkeys, doves, ducks, etc. you allow yourself the latitude to shoot a choke constriction which best suits your needs.  I have friends which shoot a .580 in a non-backbored 20 gauge to get an even 20",  20 yard pattern w/ no voids or holes at 40 yards, so, in essence, the shotgun is set up for all ranges out to 40 yards.  Shooting at stationary clay targets placed at known range distances and positions is a great teaching tool w/ the added excitement of breaking the targets while developing shooting confidence and skill. A stake or board w/ an exposed nail or screw can be driven into the ground and will hold the clay target at turkey head height to better duplicate a hunting scenario.