turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Covid-19 and Spring of 21

Started by Neill_Prater, September 18, 2020, 09:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

My family had it in July.  I've summed it up like this, I've been sicker, but I've never been sick like that.  Had fever 8 days.  The thing is first don't live in denial and be considerate of others.  If you are exposed you can get it and you can give it.  After having it I'm no expert but I am experienced. 

In regards to travel, yes I'm intending to kill a few turkeys that aren't local so I'm going to go where I have the opportunity to go.  Turkey season got closed in a few places this spring but I don't know of any big game this fall so I'm not worried about seasons being cancelled.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

AppalachianHollers

I would expect the quota hunt at Oak Ridge TN will get shut down again. So I doubt I'll apply to it. Otherwise, I don't expect any impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch1

I will be going wherever physically possible unless stopped some how by law. Camping out and hunting solo most likely

Just completed a elk hunt out west.

I see no reason for people to confine themselves. Go solo vs camping with people if you want, no harm there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turkeyman

I'm generally an optimist but can't help but be pessimistic re:long term Covid. Let's face it...this may very well be around for several years. Vaccine...if and when...how effective? My plans for next spring are MO, KY, PA and home state of gestapo NY. It will be a wait and see situation.

Crghss

Just got back from Antelope hunt/fly fishing trip in WY. From what I've read flying seems to be relatively safe. Was either in the field or on a stream while in WY. I think these days that's about as safe as you can get, for everyone.

So I'll be flying to Black hills this spring.

I've only had flu shot once in my life. Never had the flu. I will get a flu shot this year. When Covid vaccine comes out I'll get that shot also. If I want to travel and do the things I love then I'm obligated to do what I can to stop the spread of Covid and the flu.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

derek

Didn't let it slow me down much last year - just changed some of the states I had planned on and encouraged me to buy licenses ahead of time I may have waited until I got there for.  Which in turn led to eating more tags than I care to admit but the goal was to hunt every possible day and that I did.  Also ended up doing everything solo as it changed the work schedule for my traveling partner (he was off!)

I will continue to "chase 49" next year.. being I think every state is back open to non-residents now I do not foresee the same issue with states shutting down happening again so should be in good shape.  I do have 1 trip I plan to fly out for (pacific nw), everything else will drive. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

zelmo1

Local buzz is that non residents will need the covid vaccine , if it is available, before hunting next year. This is only a rumor from a game warden. I can find no mention of it on the F&G website or state govt page. I will say I live in a rural area, but the larger towns and cities are predicting another spike here soon. I am a believer in our state motto," Live Free or Die", but the panic button is lit up here. If we get a school system or municipakity shut down here, I fear the domino effect happening. The population here has changed from the old hard working tradespeople and loggers and fishermen to the 20 hour a week, telework culture. This scares me. I am going to concentrate on my home state next year and try to pull off a " Quintuple" next year. All 3 kids and my wife and myself, lol. Go big or go home. Good luck and God Bless.

davisd9

Quote from: zelmo1 on October 27, 2020, 09:16:48 AM
Local buzz is that non residents will need the covid vaccine , if it is available, before hunting next year. This is only a rumor from a game warden. I can find no mention of it on the F&G website or state govt page.

If true, that seems beatable in court with Hipaa laws in Maine or elsewhere.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

zelmo1

I asked the same question, about Hippa laws. Like I said, it is a rumor. But if it is a public safety issue and there is any "trouble/law suits" they could just cancel season. We all wear a diaper if on person craps their pants.  :OGturkeyhead:

silvestris

Obey, it is the American way these days.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

GobbleNut

Generally speaking, the real problem I have regarding covid is all of the uncertainty associated with it.  I am uncertain about who has it in my interactions with other folks.  I am uncertain about how easily I might get it if those interactions just happen to be with the wrong folks. Most importantly, I am uncertain if I, or one of my friends or loved ones, might die if I get it and spread it to them. 

Regardless of all the nonsense about "well, it only kills 3% of the people that get it", I am doing all I can to ensure that I, and nobody else I know, might turn out to be part of that 3%.  ...And then again, I am not even going to get into the long-term health issues that are reportedly quite common from those folks that get it and survive it....

It is really pretty simple.  Wear a damn mask when out in public and keep your distance from other folks. 

PalmettoRon

Correct Gobble Nut. Live life. Enjoy the outdoors, but be responsible.

NCL

Gobblenut all of what you said and adding that what is never discussed when the 3% comes up is the costs associated with and extended stay in the hospital. My last hospital stay which was almost 10 years ago was 74 hours long and it was 155K which was up from  my 2008 visit which was 72 hours and 98 K. So catching Covid and going to the hospital for two or three weeks will probably wipe me out financially. The financial aspect of catching Covid which what scare me the most.

Spurs Up

Quote from: davisd9 on October 27, 2020, 09:22:52 AM
Quote from: zelmo1 on October 27, 2020, 09:16:48 AM
Local buzz is that non residents will need the covid vaccine , if it is available, before hunting next year. This is only a rumor from a game warden. I can find no mention of it on the F&G website or state govt page.

If true, that seems beatable in court with Hipaa laws in Maine or elsewhere.

How's that any different than immunization records being required for school attendance?

zelmo1

The proximity of students is much more than hunters in the woods. I am just repeating local news I hear around the socially distanced campfire. Not pushing either side, just replying to the thread.  :funnyturkey: