turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Elk hunt help needed!

Started by ThunderChickenHunter21, October 07, 2020, 02:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenHunter21

So my father in law has a sister that lives in Wyoming. Cokeville is the name of the town, unit 104 for hunting. We are going to draw a tag for next season. Problem is this is uncharted territory for us. We only hunt whitetails. So my question is, does anyone have any information at all as to how the hunting is in cokeville or unit 104. Certain tactics etc because Im basically clueless. They do have a ton of private land as well as elk but as the acreage im not sure of the number. Would it be better to hunt public?   Lol if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it. Know its a Longshot but thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ThunderChickenHunter21

Ttt

HookedonHooks

Start by getting in touch with a wildlife biologists, or DNR Officer for that unit, they are usually very helpful in lending info in Colorado.

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: HookedonHooks on October 07, 2020, 08:28:38 AM
Start by getting in touch with a wildlife biologists, or DNR Officer for that unit, they are usually very helpful in lending info in Colorado.
Ok thank you man

Fullfan

Go dig around on the Rokslide forum. Lots of elk hunters there.

And remember Wyoming = Grizzly's...
Don't gobble at me...

Southerngobbler

Make sure your hunt coincides with the rut, typically a bow hunt, they're  actually easier that a rifle hunt out side of the rut in my opinion. Either way its way two different strategies. A rut hunt is kinda like hunting turkeys and nothing at all like hunting whitetails cuz the elk are moving through an area unlike whitetails that are homebodies. A rut hunt might end up being the funnest thing you've got into for awhile while a non rut hunt can end up being super tough. Maybe private land will be different especially if there is agriculture involved, I've never been in that situation.
If its a rut hunt try and invite someone that's done it before. It's actually pretty easy once someone show's you the ropes.

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: Southerngobbler on October 07, 2020, 10:00:57 AM
Make sure your hunt coincides with the rut, typically a bow hunt, they're  actually easier that a rifle hunt out side of the rut in my opinion. Either way its way two different strategies. A rut hunt is kinda like hunting turkeys and nothing at all like hunting whitetails cuz the elk are moving through an area unlike whitetails that are homebodies. A rut hunt might end up being the funnest thing you've got into for awhile while a non rut hunt can end up being super tough. Maybe private land will be different especially if there is agriculture involved, I've never been in that situation.
If its a rut hunt try and invite someone that's done it before. It's actually pretty easy once someone show's you the ropes.
Yeah im hoping for 40 yards in my face bugeling lol

wisconsinteacher

We rifle hunted 104 during rifle a few years ago.  We would hike 2 hours back in only to have a horse train walk past and go into the valley we planned to hunt.  We did glass elk but they were always on the other side of the draw (1-2 miles away)  If there is no snow, they will be up high and if there is snow, they will start moving lower to the private land. 

GET IN SHAPE AND HAVE FUN!!!

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on October 07, 2020, 01:39:49 PM
We rifle hunted 104 during rifle a few years ago.  We would hike 2 hours back in only to have a horse train walk past and go into the valley we planned to hunt.  We did glass elk but they were always on the other side of the draw (1-2 miles away)  If there is no snow, they will be up high and if there is snow, they will start moving lower to the private land. 

GET IN SHAPE AND HAVE FUN!!!
Lol thanks for the help! Guess need to ramp up some cardio. And we will be hunting private land

Ctrize

Private could be a blessing or a hindrance depending on size. Absolutely plan on hunting public if your private is a bust. Search a topo map to see what your getting into and be prepared to go the distance.

ThunderChickenHunter21

So talked to my father in laws sister. We will be taking horses into the mountains and camping in the mountains for a few days then coming home. I have no idea what gear to take etc.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: ThunderChickenHunter21 on October 09, 2020, 09:54:37 PM
So talked to my father in laws sister. We will be taking horses into the mountains and camping in the mountains for a few days then coming home. I have no idea what gear to take etc.

Go join the forum @ Rokslide.com and get to reading. All the info you need can be found there.

wisconsinteacher

Get a pair of gators.  If there is snow and it melts during the day, you will have a few pounds of mud on your boots every step.  Good glass and layers of cloths.  Be ready to shoot 300+ yards if needed. 

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on October 12, 2020, 03:23:44 PM
Get a pair of gators.  If there is snow and it melts during the day, you will have a few pounds of mud on your boots every step.  Good glass and layers of cloths.  Be ready to shoot 300+ yards if needed.
What I've heard about the gators! We are gonna take bows of i am at least. May regret it later