OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: New bow and looking for some advise  (Read 284 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
New bow and looking for some advise
« on: September 13, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »
So yesterday I took in my old PSE Carrera which was a 70lb. draw weight bow and traded it in for one that will shoot between 45-55lbs. (A PSE Stinger) I have it set at 45lbs. now, to many shoulder surgeries and back and hip problems for 70lbs. anymore. It was beginning to shoot quite nicely at the shop but the bow arm shoulder started to tell me to stop so I stopped. (2 surgeries on that shoulder, I had better listen) I will try to tune it in more this week. My back is not being very nice to me today, hoping that improves as I continue shooting.

I had to shoot from the standing position at the shop but will be shooting from the sitting position when I hunt for the reasons mentioned above and more.

I had picked up the site at a yard sale and the shop owner threw in the drop away rest. I had him take off the Whisker Biscuit and the sight that came with the bow and saved quite a bit doing that as well. I am able to use all my old arrows with the new bow which is nice and saved me a ton of money as well, I was worried they would be spined to heavily for the new bow.

I also picked up some arrows and a string for my old Ben Pearson recurve bow, they are the cabon arrows designed to look like the old wooden arrows.

I was also wondering what peoples thoughts are on the guillotine styled broadheads for turkey hunting? Any brand that works better than another or any brand that has a bad reputation and I should avoid? What kind of fletching should I use with that style of head? Thanks for any help given. Oh would it be wise to use a Flu Flu styled arrow for turkey since I will be shooting at the ground? I am thinking not but though I would ask.

IMG_1374 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1373 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1375 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1382 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:50:54 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: New bow and looking for some advise
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 12:51:43 PM »
So nobody has used the the guillotine styled broad heads for turkey hunting?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 01:25:45 PM »
I have no experience using them but have a good buddy that uses them almost exclusively  for turkeys and geese, let me ask him which brand it is that he likes using.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 01:39:05 PM »
I have no experience using them but have a good buddy that uses them almost exclusively  for turkeys and geese, let me ask him which brand it is that he likes using.
I would appreciate that. I have one of those old fashioned deals that mounts to your bow and has a string that comes out so when it goes through the bird all you have to do is follow the string, but I have been told they are less than perfect. This is what I mean.
IMG_1384 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:53:54 PM by Sir-diealot »

Offline captpete

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
  • Iowa.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 08:41:36 AM »
Nice looking setup! I have never the guillotine style broadheads, so I can't advise which is better. Here are somethings to consider about them. From what I understand they take a full length arrow...have to keep that big head out away from your sight and in front of the riser of the bow. There were complaints at one time that you needed to use a special adaptor for the quiver if you were going carry the heads mounted on the arrows or you had assemble them when you got to the field(a real PITA in the dark). I guessing that someone has come up with some kind of case to get away from that issue, but it's something else to buy/ carry. Also these head are for head/neck shots only. You will get very little if any penetration on a body shot with them.

As far as fletching goes, just use your normal fletching.

When I used the bow turkeys, I personally didn't want a pass-through. I used a big cut expandable the would "thump" a turkey instead of zinging through them. Shot placement is key on them. The vital area is small and not where you really think it is.

The string tracker that you pictured caused my buddy more trouble than it ever helped. Once, the string got caught on something when he drew the bow, broke and sent the arrow way off target when he shot. Another time he couldn't even get the bow completely drawn because the string wouldn't come out of the holder. The time or two that it did work right, the string would get tangled in the brush as the animal(deer/turkey) ran, then break. If I remember right, it took a special clip or something that you put on behind the broadhead. Which meant that had to nock your arrow, then screw on your broadhead....again a real PITA in the dark.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 08:59:25 AM by captpete »

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 10:28:09 AM »
Nice looking setup! I have never the guillotine style broadheads, so I can't advise which is better. Here are somethings to consider about them. From what I understand they take a full length arrow...have to keep that big head out away from your sight and in front of the riser of the bow. There were complaints at one time that you needed to use a special adaptor for the quiver if you were going carry the heads mounted on the arrows or you had assemble them when you got to the field(a real PITA in the dark). I guessing that someone has come up with some kind of case to get away from that issue, but it's something else to buy/ carry. Also these head are for head/neck shots only. You will get very little if any penetration on a body shot with them.

As far as fletching goes, just use your normal fletching.

When I used the bow turkeys, I personally didn't want a pass-through. I used a big cut expandable the would "thump" a turkey instead of zinging through them. Shot placement is key on them. The vital area is small and not where you really think it is.

The string tracker that you pictured caused my buddy more trouble than it ever helped. Once, the string got caught on something when he drew the bow, broke and sent the arrow way off target when he shot. Another time he couldn't even get the bow completely drawn because the string wouldn't come out of the holder. The time or two that it did work right, the string would get tangled in the brush as the animal(deer/turkey) ran, then break. If I remember right, it took a special clip or something that you put on behind the broadhead. Which meant that had to nock your arrow, then screw on your broadhead....again a real PITA in the dark.
Thank you for the reply, you are right, there is a special adapter for them to fit in a quiver. Thanks for telling me about the string gadget always thought it must have needed something to attach to the arrow. I would not take a body shot with those, but thank you for letting me know. I chose not to go bow hunting opening day because I did not feel my shot placements were good enough so if I won't go after a deer with a bowl right now I'm not going to do it with a turkey either right now hopefully I'll be able to do it in the spring. Broke my heart not to go out but it's just not worth it to injure an animal I don't ever want to be that kind of Hunter. by the way sorry if some words are messed up I'm using the talk to type feature cuz I can't type on this phone very easily.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk