OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New bow and looking for some advise  (Read 6307 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
New bow and looking for some advise
« on: September 13, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »
So yesterday I took in my old PSE Carrera which was a 70lb. draw weight bow and traded it in for one that will shoot between 45-55lbs. (A PSE Stinger) I have it set at 45lbs. now, to many shoulder surgeries and back and hip problems for 70lbs. anymore. It was beginning to shoot quite nicely at the shop but the bow arm shoulder started to tell me to stop so I stopped. (2 surgeries on that shoulder, I had better listen) I will try to tune it in more this week. My back is not being very nice to me today, hoping that improves as I continue shooting.

I had to shoot from the standing position at the shop but will be shooting from the sitting position when I hunt for the reasons mentioned above and more.

I had picked up the site at a yard sale and the shop owner threw in the drop away rest. I had him take off the Whisker Biscuit and the sight that came with the bow and saved quite a bit doing that as well. I am able to use all my old arrows with the new bow which is nice and saved me a ton of money as well, I was worried they would be spined to heavily for the new bow.

I also picked up some arrows and a string for my old Ben Pearson recurve bow, they are the cabon arrows designed to look like the old wooden arrows.

I was also wondering what peoples thoughts are on the guillotine styled broadheads for turkey hunting? Any brand that works better than another or any brand that has a bad reputation and I should avoid? What kind of fletching should I use with that style of head? Thanks for any help given. Oh would it be wise to use a Flu Flu styled arrow for turkey since I will be shooting at the ground? I am thinking not but though I would ask.

IMG_1374 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1373 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1375 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1382 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:50:54 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: New bow and looking for some advise
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 12:51:43 PM »
So nobody has used the the guillotine styled broad heads for turkey hunting?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 01:25:45 PM »
I have no experience using them but have a good buddy that uses them almost exclusively  for turkeys and geese, let me ask him which brand it is that he likes using.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 01:39:05 PM »
I have no experience using them but have a good buddy that uses them almost exclusively  for turkeys and geese, let me ask him which brand it is that he likes using.
I would appreciate that. I have one of those old fashioned deals that mounts to your bow and has a string that comes out so when it goes through the bird all you have to do is follow the string, but I have been told they are less than perfect. This is what I mean.
IMG_1384 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:53:54 PM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig:

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 08:41:36 AM »
Nice looking setup! I have never the guillotine style broadheads, so I can't advise which is better. Here are somethings to consider about them. From what I understand they take a full length arrow...have to keep that big head out away from your sight and in front of the riser of the bow. There were complaints at one time that you needed to use a special adaptor for the quiver if you were going carry the heads mounted on the arrows or you had assemble them when you got to the field(a real PITA in the dark). I guessing that someone has come up with some kind of case to get away from that issue, but it's something else to buy/ carry. Also these head are for head/neck shots only. You will get very little if any penetration on a body shot with them.

As far as fletching goes, just use your normal fletching.

When I used the bow turkeys, I personally didn't want a pass-through. I used a big cut expandable the would "thump" a turkey instead of zinging through them. Shot placement is key on them. The vital area is small and not where you really think it is.

The string tracker that you pictured caused my buddy more trouble than it ever helped. Once, the string got caught on something when he drew the bow, broke and sent the arrow way off target when he shot. Another time he couldn't even get the bow completely drawn because the string wouldn't come out of the holder. The time or two that it did work right, the string would get tangled in the brush as the animal(deer/turkey) ran, then break. If I remember right, it took a special clip or something that you put on behind the broadhead. Which meant that had to nock your arrow, then screw on your broadhead....again a real PITA in the dark.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 08:59:25 AM by captpete »

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 10:28:09 AM »
Nice looking setup! I have never the guillotine style broadheads, so I can't advise which is better. Here are somethings to consider about them. From what I understand they take a full length arrow...have to keep that big head out away from your sight and in front of the riser of the bow. There were complaints at one time that you needed to use a special adaptor for the quiver if you were going carry the heads mounted on the arrows or you had assemble them when you got to the field(a real PITA in the dark). I guessing that someone has come up with some kind of case to get away from that issue, but it's something else to buy/ carry. Also these head are for head/neck shots only. You will get very little if any penetration on a body shot with them.

As far as fletching goes, just use your normal fletching.

When I used the bow turkeys, I personally didn't want a pass-through. I used a big cut expandable the would "thump" a turkey instead of zinging through them. Shot placement is key on them. The vital area is small and not where you really think it is.

The string tracker that you pictured caused my buddy more trouble than it ever helped. Once, the string got caught on something when he drew the bow, broke and sent the arrow way off target when he shot. Another time he couldn't even get the bow completely drawn because the string wouldn't come out of the holder. The time or two that it did work right, the string would get tangled in the brush as the animal(deer/turkey) ran, then break. If I remember right, it took a special clip or something that you put on behind the broadhead. Which meant that had to nock your arrow, then screw on your broadhead....again a real PITA in the dark.
Thank you for the reply, you are right, there is a special adapter for them to fit in a quiver. Thanks for telling me about the string gadget always thought it must have needed something to attach to the arrow. I would not take a body shot with those, but thank you for letting me know. I chose not to go bow hunting opening day because I did not feel my shot placements were good enough so if I won't go after a deer with a bowl right now I'm not going to do it with a turkey either right now hopefully I'll be able to do it in the spring. Broke my heart not to go out but it's just not worth it to injure an animal I don't ever want to be that kind of Hunter. by the way sorry if some words are messed up I'm using the talk to type feature cuz I can't type on this phone very easily.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

John Koenig:

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 08:47:58 AM »
I second ditching the string tracker. Gave mine away. Stopped using it in '99. Use a ground blind and decoys and a chair. This will keep you comfortable. Practice shooting from a chair. Keep shots at ~10 yrds. ,easy to do with decoys. I shoot 50 lbs and use 4 blade expandable heads. Both my birds died in sight this fall. Look at the leg,go up and shoot the upper third. (I aim higher than the photo shows. )

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline turkeyhunter91

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 01:48:01 PM »
i have tried the gobbler guillotines and the magnus bullheads. i would highly recommend the bullheads, i have shot them t a target out to 50 yards and they flew dead on, the guillotines i used had the little straws and i couldn't get them to fly straight past 15 or 20 yards. i dont remember the spine arrow i shot but they had 3 i believe 6 in helical feathers. magnus sells a kit that includes arrow

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 03:46:04 PM »
I second ditching the string tracker. Gave mine away. Stopped using it in '99. Use a ground blind and decoys and a chair. This will keep you comfortable. Practice shooting from a chair. Keep shots at ~10 yrds. ,easy to do with decoys. I shoot 50 lbs and use 4 blade expandable heads. Both my birds died in sight this fall. Look at the leg,go up and shoot the upper third. (I aim higher than the photo shows. )

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thank you for the advise. If I do I will not go with the type of broadhead mentioned above I would like to go with a fixed blade broadhead, always felt mechanicals were doomed to failure and after doing some testing against fixed blade vs mechanicals (Both Wasp) I just could not get behind the mechanicals. Of course that was also prior to my car accident in 2001 and I am sure things have improved but something just makes me want to stay with a fixed blade. At least on big game anyway, not sure yet on small game.

i have tried the gobbler guillotines and the magnus bullheads. i would highly recommend the bullheads, i have shot them t a target out to 50 yards and they flew dead on, the guillotines i used had the little straws and i couldn't get them to fly straight past 15 or 20 yards. i dont remember the spine arrow i shot but they had 3 i believe 6 in helical feathers. magnus sells a kit that includes arrow
I need the 350 kit for what I am shooting right now, actually I have to be able to shoot another 5lbs. as they rate them from 50lbs. up. Will they shoot through the screen on a blind or do I need to leave the blind screen down? Thank you for the help.

John Koenig:

Offline turkeyhunter91

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 05:51:33 PM »
i have never tried shooting through the screens, most of the turkeys i have killed with a bow was with a rage mechanical. my favorite shot with a regular broad head is a neck shot. for years i wouldn't body shoot a turkey because i let some get away but the last few that i body shot i changed where i was aiming, i aim a different place than most people, i have had good luck by shooting them through the top of the thighs and they won't be laying far away.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 08:50:32 PM »
i have never tried shooting through the screens, most of the turkeys i have killed with a bow was with a rage mechanical. my favorite shot with a regular broad head is a neck shot. for years i wouldn't body shoot a turkey because i let some get away but the last few that i body shot i changed where i was aiming, i aim a different place than most people, i have had good luck by shooting them through the top of the thighs and they won't be laying far away.
Nothing wrong with that if it is working for you. I wish you the best of luck this season and beyond. Thanks for the help.

John Koenig:

Offline VAHUNTER

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Perfection ProStaff
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 10:04:36 PM »
I have been shooting Slick Tricks for the past 10 or 12 years. Always shot fixed heads. But any head will get the job done if it's placed right.  Owning a bow shop I get to try them all. But if something works I keep using it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Good things come to those who wait

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 04:09:21 PM »
I have been shooting Slick Tricks for the past 10 or 12 years. Always shot fixed heads. But any head will get the job done if it's placed right.  Owning a bow shop I get to try them all. But if something works I keep using it.

Thank you much for the reply, I decided to order some of the Magnus type heads that will remove the head if I make contact.

John Koenig:

Offline VAHUNTER

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Perfection ProStaff
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 04:38:28 PM »
That will work !! Best of luck this coming season !!

Good things come to those who wait

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 08:10:08 PM »
That will work !! Best of luck this coming season !!

Thanks, have to get to the bow shop to pick them up next week and take care of a squeak my bow picked up with new rest.

John Koenig: