turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vest Options: Any Input

Started by Neill_Prater, September 12, 2020, 05:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

Okay. I posted some time ago asking if anyone has tried something like a tactical vest in lieu of a traditional turkey vest. No one replied they had. I never explained my reason for asking.

The development of the so-called "turkey lounger" was a godsend for me. I've had lower back issues for much of my adult life and no matter how good the cushion, and believe me, I have tried them all, leaning back against a tree would become increasingly uncomfortable with age and if were not for my lounger, I am not sure how much turkey hunting I would be doing.

That said, the loungers create a problem of their own, as it's virtually impossible to set in one wearing a conventional turkey vest, or at least it is for a guy of my size. Not only is it a tight fit, but every one I have tried has the bulk of the pockets to the sides, making it almost impossible for access. Even standing, I often find that to be an issue.

So, when I am hunting, when I deploy the lounger, I am forced to remove my vest each time. No big deal if you are planning on a long sit, but for a brief test of the waters, it's a PITA, or if the gobbler you're chasing decides to travel and you have to  reposition in a hurry. I have noticed that tactical type vests have most of the gear right up front and with a vest designed the same way, without a lot of bulk on the sides and back, one could plop down in a lounger with no problem. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Jrkimbrough

Knight n hale rng vest are awesome. If you take the cushion off you could easily use a louger seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rakkin6

You could try a military chest rig. I sold all mine when I retired or I would hook you up.

https://www.uspatriottactical.com/condor-recon-chest-rig/MCR5-800.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw_KXoM_k6wIV5suGCh2e1g0NEAQYAyABEgJFRvD_BwE

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

rakkin6

You can buy additional pouches for it and set it up how you want to

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

USMC0331

I   use a badlands monster fanny pack with a small foam cushion from store or a bottomland seat from Mrs Glenda Green . Much easier to carry and without my vest causing a sweat a thon. This will carry a lot of gear too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ozarks Hillbilly

Hunt Redi might be worth a look. You can get the basic vest and attach any PALS or MOLLE accessories you like. They are geared towards uplands hunters so the do have orange on the back of the game bag. Not sure that's a bad thing.
https://www.huntredi.com/

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

GunRunner

I would recommend you look into Glenda Green's hand made Turkey Hunting Satchels that you carry over your shoulder. She has 2 sizes ...one considered regular and one smaller version she calls the "Minimalist".  That is the one I have in Mossy Oak New Bottomland.  Also available in the original MO Bottomland pattern. Great design with internal pockets for box calls, pot calls, and all  standard turkey hunting accessories. Very durable material, handcrafted  and very well made.  Glenda is a pleasure to deal with as well.

After setting up my lounger, I place my satchel on the ground to my right, opened up for easy access to all my calls.  No more vest. No more trying to sit in lounger with vest on.

Look for Glenda and her products on Facebook, or search this site as she is very popular with many of our forum members.   She is based in North Carolina.  You can contact her at:  Greenscch@yahoo.com

Hope this is helpful
GunRunner
:camohat:

Gobbler428

X2 on Glendas' satchel. Started using one this past spring and I will probably never wear a vest again.
       Great product and works great either with or without a turkey lounger.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Gobbler428 on September 13, 2020, 09:26:22 AM
       X2 on Glendas' satchel. Started using one this past spring and I will probably never wear a vest again.
       Great product and works great either with or without a turkey lounger.
x3 on the Glenda Greens satchel.. no more hot vest for me ... USA made satchel and she sales all kinds of other stuff , pot call pouches, box call holsters, and striker roll up's. She has a New seat cushion that's waterproof with inter tube you inflate and it's awesome cushion..

Neill_Prater

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am going to look at all the options you have presented.

lmbunch69

I've got a cabelas minimalist vest. 2 pockets out front and a box call pouch. One side has some striker slots. Nothing else, just a water bottle on one side. Seat just unclips. Fantastic vest.

Tom007

Quote from: USMC0331 on September 12, 2020, 06:07:27 PM
I   use a badlands monster fanny pack with a small foam cushion from store or a bottomland seat from Mrs Glenda Green . Much easier to carry and without my vest causing a sweat a thon. This will carry a lot of gear too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Badlands has a new turkey vest. I love it. Same quality as all their great packs....
"Solo hunter"