OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Velocity?  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Neill_Prater

• The Boss Gobbler
Velocity?
« on: September 12, 2020, 10:31:26 AM »
I have a question. More than once, I have noticed that, according to things I have read,  shooters have experienced a change in patterns when their favorite ammo is loaded to a higher velocity by the manufacturer. I get the drift that change is most often negative.

Physics is not my strong suit, but as I understand it, the faster a sphere is launched, the more quickly it slows, meaning that at a distance, the difference in retained velocity is negligable. Soooo, why does anyone crank the muzzle velocity of a turkey load up to 1200 or even 1300 fps?

Less recoil, reduced muzzle blast, and, in many cases, denser patterns of slower loads would, to me, seem to outweigh any possible benefits of increased speed.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Velocity?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 10:49:48 AM »
 Your reasoning is sound. The old saying of "if a little will do a little good, a lot is better" doesn't hold true with shotshell charge weight or velocity. The why is simply a matter of sales. Hunters are afflicted with magnumitis. Pattern tests will reveal the truth.

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
I've noticed in my gun, it shoots denser patterns, especially at distance (40 yds) with 3" Win Longbeards than with 3 1/2" Win Longbeards. With 3 1/2" I get thinner patterns. Just an observation. I'm glad though, easier on the shoulder. I wonder if others experianced this also?
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 05:34:18 PM »
in a couple of blackpowder shotshell guns I reload for, by dropping the powder charge a little and loading a little more shot from the standard load they both shoot tighter patterns.

it's not just a better pattern which you would expect from more pellets in the load, it is a noticeably denser center core pattern

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 01:14:00 AM »
Why?  Marketing, High Velocity sells.  Remember ammo manufacturers make products to make money.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 12:37:42 PM »
When I was loading shotshells for sporting clays before my accident I tried adding a bit more powder to the load and had awful results.

Same goes for when I was reloading 55gr. Nosler Boat Tailed Ballistic tips for woodchucks, the lighter and middle load shot great with middle load being the best but when I went to the highest load using the same powder (IMR 4064) the shots started to open up quite a bit.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 06:56:40 PM »
When I was loading shotshells for sporting clays before my accident I tried adding a bit more powder to the load and had awful results.

Same goes for when I was reloading 55gr. Nosler Boat Tailed Ballistic tips for woodchucks, the lighter and middle load shot great with middle load being the best but when I went to the highest load using the same powder (IMR 4064) the shots started to open up quite a bit.

Seems to be a theme here. The hotter, faster loads don’t seem to pattern as well. I found this with the Hotter loads in the Winchester long beard shells, the 1050 FPS patterned better than the 1200 FPS loads. At least this is what I found with my set up. Be safe....
“Solo hunter”

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 01:48:53 PM »

It’s also just as likely you didn’t find the accuracy node on the higher end of the spectrum. Rifles will missy often have 2 accuracy nodes. Most times I can hit the higher end. But, my 7STW wouldn’t. It was showing pressure signs as things were starting to tighten up but before getting to where I’d like. Long story short, it’s just a high priced 7 magnum that no one sells ammo for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 08:55:03 PM »
I haven't tried any of the slower loads in any of my guns.  It would only stand to reason that the loads that start out sub-sonic would suffer less disturbance and theoretically post better patterns.  That being said............the REASON that I haven't tried any of the slower loads is that the patterns I'm getting with the faster loads are WAY beyond sufficient. 

A whole different dynamic with rifle loads.  Most all modern rifle loads are super-sonic.  Barrel harmonics are daffy things.  But I have a bunch of rifles that are at their very most accurate right up at the bitter edge of sanity.  Rifles to include .220 Swift, 7-STW, .300 Win and Wby and .375 Wby.   Might they have another accuracy point lower down ??  Maybe.  Probably.  But why ??

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 10:28:48 PM »

It’s also just as likely you didn’t find the accuracy node on the higher end of the spectrum. Rifles will missy often have 2 accuracy nodes. Most times I can hit the higher end. But, my 7STW wouldn’t. It was showing pressure signs as things were starting to tighten up but before getting to where I’d like. Long story short, it’s just a high priced 7 magnum that no one sells ammo for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could be, I am still pretty new to reloading so what you are talking about is beyond me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 11:19:38 AM »
Probably a fine line between having enough velocity with the pellet size and weight for sufficient penetration and pattern density at the range the load is designed for. 1200-1300 fps is probably close to the optimal speed for lead pellet energy and penetration in the 4,5, and 6 sizes as tested by ammo manufacturers to still pattern well and be lethal. Just my guess anyways.