OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice on a 1100 Conversion

Started by jshively, May 18, 2011, 08:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshively

I have a 1100LT Magnum from the late 70's that I want to convert into a turkey gun for my daughter.  The current barrel I have is a 26" barrel for 2.75 shells with screwin chokes.  The original barrel is 28" with 3" and modified choke (no screwin).  My thought is to get the 28" barrel cut to 24" and have it fitted with screwin chokes.  It is a vent rib barrel - will cutting it have any problem?  Also plan to replace the original wood stock (beautiful wood) with a synthetic youth stock and forend from Cabela's.  I would prefer the Knox SpecOps stock - but I cannot find it for the 1100 20 gauge - any similar stocks that would work?  I would love to hunt with this as well if possible.

We have been using the 2.75 shells in the 26" barrel and it throws a nice pattern at 25 yards with a tightwad choke.  I would just feel better having her hunting turkeys with a 3" specified turkey load versus a #6 small game load.  Also would lengthen the kill zone to 30 to 35 yards for her.  This way I could find a use for the older barrel while saving the 26" barrel for doves and squirrels.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Also would like to hear some suggestions for sights.

Thanks - Jeff.

gophert

Jeff,

Don't forget to try the Federal HW 2 3/4 #7's.  With the right choke, it is very deadly out to 35 yards.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/75878-1.html

This choke seems to work very well with the above load.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/remington-choke-tubes/RemSF

Good Luck!

R AJ

They also have 2 3/4 " H-13 loads. The 2 3/4" is only fewer shot. You may do better with chokes other than the Tight Wad and I would have to suggest the Rem SF for the Federal HW load mentioned above.
My wife's gun is a Rem 1100 LW 26" 2 3/4" .

Those HW loads hold pretty tight patterns and for most of our applications it serves her well.

I do shoot the 3" shell myself . BTW the Tight Wad is a 570 choke and you should try the fed HW in it first . I know that it is ported but they are not as much influence on the wad since they are all at the very end and parallel to each other.

jshively

Gopherit - thanks for the suggestion.  I found a rebate from Federal that will give me $15.00 back on the purchase of 2 boxes - so I think I am going to do it.  Will also pick up the Rem. Super Full choke - at that price - it is easy to try it out.

CB on the run

Should be able to have a gunsmith lengthen the forcing cone so you can shoot the 3".  My 1100 is the non-magnum version and my smith did some additional work so it will safely handle the 3" mag loads.  He also ported my barrel.  I have shot this set up out to 50 on paper with the HTL shells.  I killed a spring bird at 44 yards 2 years ago.  Just remember that in the woods the branches will eat up shot and with a 20 ga you have less to work with.  That being said, the 20 is perfect for numerous situations.

CB