OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: TSS: WHAT IT IS AND ISN’T article  (Read 972 times)

Offline idgobble

TSS: WHAT IT IS AND ISN’T article
« on: July 31, 2020, 02:11:48 PM »
Don't know if this has been linked to before but here it is. No date on the article so don't know how recent it was. Interesting comments about penetration testing. https://shootingsportsman.com/tss-shotshells/?fbclid=IwAR3S7JbyqI0OVR7EOFjRpCo6WFYZBLa_jp3rWYzi0cCxq-M8JVcWvo9wNC4

Offline LaLongbeard

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: TSS: WHAT IT IS AND ISN’T article
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 04:26:07 PM »
Someone needs to read this article SLOWLY to a lot of the TSS gel penetration experts lol 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 06:28:53 PM »
Nothing to see here. Nothing new. Nothing revolutionary. More of a teaser, opinion piece.

Here are the CliffNotes:  The author is an expert. We know that because he says so. He is still testing penetration on ducks, not gel. It’s too early to tell you what he’s observing, but...(he’s not going to tell you; not yet anyway).

That about sums it up besides the obvious.

Offline LaLongbeard

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 07:18:19 PM »
Nothing to see here. Nothing new. Nothing revolutionary. More of a teaser, opinion piece.

Here are the CliffNotes:  The author is an expert. We know that because he says so. He is still testing penetration on ducks, not gel. It’s too early to tell you what he’s observing, but...(he’s not going to tell you; not yet anyway).

That about sums it up besides the obvious.

Yep definitely nothing to see here if you want to sell TSS lol. 28000 penetration tests on live ducks,turkeys,doves,and pheasant (not just ducks anyone that can read should see that) These tests conclusively proved that ballistic gel does not in any way replicate real world penetration on live game birds, again that’s ducks,turkeys,dove and pheasant.
     Well so what? So what because the TSS groupies number one really only selling point is penetration in gel. Math real math has already proven TSS 9s fall short on both energy and retained energy when compared with lead or heavy shot in turkey loads .The TSS only come back was penetration in gel. Now we have 28000 tests that prove the gel is not an equivalent of real live game birds duh.
     So the real Cliff notes would be unless you hunt ballistic gel, or don’t understand the formula for energy comparisons the TSS claims are again found to be false.

Offline ol bob

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 09:05:05 PM »
All I know for sure tss #9 will kill a turkey grave yard dead a 40 yards and not tear your arm off doing it.

Online davisd9

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 10:24:58 PM »
I have killed enough turkeys with TSS 9s to know that it does the job very well. Will lead do it yep, but it does not perform like TSS and I do not need gel or anything else to tell me that.

"I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow." Ben Rogers Lee

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 08:08:34 AM »
i’m far from an expert and have limited experience with TSS.  I killed a half dozen birds with TSS about 5 years ago, then all my birds last year were killed with 9 1/2 TSS out of a 410.   I don’t shoot gel, count holes in paper or run computer programs to figure out the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of shot.  I just shoot turkeys and believe what my eyes tell me it is or isn’t.   What i’ve seen and learned about TSS so far. 

1.   What it is?    Deadly on turkeys at the ranges I shoot!  And it’s expensive. 

2.   What it isn’t?   A Myth!  And it isn’t cheap. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you

Online Greg Massey

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 11:25:23 AM »
i’m far from an expert and have limited experience with TSS.  I killed a half dozen birds with TSS about 5 years ago, then all my birds last year were killed with 9 1/2 TSS out of a 410.   I don’t shoot gel, count holes in paper or run computer programs to figure out the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of shot.  I just shoot turkeys and believe what my eyes tell me it is or isn’t.   What i’ve seen and learned about TSS so far. 

1.   What it is?    Deadly on turkeys at the ranges I shoot!  And it’s expensive. 

2.   What it isn’t?   A Myth!  And it isn’t cheap.
  X2 , i don't need 5 page magazine article , to tell me i should or shouldn't use TSS , I've seen the results myself and it's deadly on turkeys, if you don't want to use TSS , that's your choice ..happy turkey hunting.

Offline zeke632

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »
All I know for sure tss #9 will kill a turkey grave yard dead a 40 yards and not tear your arm off doing it.

I’m with Ol Bob

Offline the Ward

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • They burn guns don't they?
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 03:21:33 PM »
I think that the only problem with TSS is probably that there are some overly enthusiastic fans of it that can sometimes turn off the guys who don't see a need to shoot it. I don't care either way, at 40 yards and in, lead or even hevishot works. Dead is dead. I shoot plain old steel at waterfowl and it works just fine, but you will see guys using all kinds of other shot material to accomplish the same thing steel does. Different strokes for different folks i guess. Sub gauge guns really benefit from it though for sure.

Offline LaLongbeard

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 03:53:19 PM »
I’ve never seen anyone say TSS does not kill turkeys. I have seen piles of out right lies and the misinformed people quoting things that have been proven false.
   If you remember just 4-5 years ago there were some  outrageous claims being taken for facts. You’ll notice now finally your seeing “well I just know it works” or “ I don’t understand simple math but I seen it kill a turkey”. That’s a HUGE step forward compared to the nonsense TSS propaganda. At this point all of the TSS weight, energy and gel penetration has been debunked. And maybe we have finally come to the conclusion that Turkeys really are not armor plated and not that difficult to kill at normal hunting ranges. If it works for you great and now you can use TSS without believing in magic or repeating false propaganda.

Offline snoodcrusher

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 06:03:25 PM »
The harshest critics of TSS are tight wads who don’t want to spend the $ to shoot it.  Lead will no doubt kill turkeys, that is a proven fact.  But the advantages of TSS are undeniable and the way it affords the ability to down size to a light weight, low recoil 20 ga and still kill gobblers at 40 yds cannot be duplicated with any other type of shot.  As far as performance goes, 300 pellets in a 10” circle at 40 yds is impossible with anything other than TSS in a 20 ga.  And there’s no way to argue that that many more pellets in a dense pattern doesn’t equal more lethality.
Again, TSS is criticized most by tight azzes that want to convince themselves they don’t need it and lead is just as good.  They’re not being honest with themselves or others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Paintbrush Beard
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 11:15:12 PM »
All of this discussion about TSS versus _______ (fill in the blank) is all well and good.  However, it mostly appeals to those among us that are into all the ballistics analysis, downrange energy, penetration, blah-blah-blah.  But here's what I think based on my interaction with a lot of "average" turkey hunters:  Most turkey hunters don't give a fat rat's schloggendoodle about that stuff. 

Your average turkey hunter does not sift through umpteen turkey chokes with five different gauge shotguns and shoot every turkey load known to man through them.  What MOST turkey hunters do is make a choice out of the couple or three shotguns they own, use the factory choke that is in it, buy a box of turkey loads, and go huntin'.  Granted, a few of them will take the time to run over to the gun range and shoot a load or two through their chosen weapon at thirty or so yards.  If they get a handful of pellets in a turkey-head target, they say "good enough" and head for the woods. 

IF they get a gobbler within "range",...which to a lot of them is anything within half a football field,...they pull the trigger.  THOSE are the guys that need to be shooting TSS,...if for no other reason than, if they can shoot straight, they will have a denser, head/neck pattern at whatever range they end up shooting,...and as a result, will be more likely to KILL a gobbler that they would otherwise end up crippling. 

That, my friends, in itself is the very best reason for encouraging your "Average Joe" turkey hunter to shoot TSS.  At least, that's the view from here.....   :)

Offline Tom007

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 08:35:08 AM »
Makes sense.......
Tombo

Offline Turkeyman

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 01:15:33 PM »
Gobblenut...I'm pretty much with you. I'm a "woods" hunter as opposed to a "field or open area" hunter. The farthest I've ever killed a bird was ~45 yards. I don't need any shell other that what I normally use to do that. I'm not demeaning the TSS guys but there's no such thing as dead, deader and deadest. Personally, I get a kick out of calling a bird in by fooling him and giving him a ride in my truck. Now...hypothetically if they come out with a "super TSS" whereas you can kill a bird at an honest 100 yards or so...would you buy it? Not much different than hunting the states where rifles are permitted.

Sort of like, deer hunting comparison, killing a good buck with your bow at 20 yards or less as opposed to  swatting one at 100-300 yards away. One is hunting...the other target shooting.